Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 09:45 AM

Default MP3 vs. AAC - Which is better?

Here is a link for some listening tests done by Gunnar Van Vliet to compare the two compressed formats.

http://recordstorereview.com/misc/aacmp3.shtml
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Re: MP3 vs. AAC - Which is better?

Hey Park, I didn't try your link, but I did recently do an extensive listening test with me and 3 friends comparing the 2 formats. We all agreed that AAC beats the pants off of MP3 files at the same bit rate. Even MP3/320 files have a muddy, collapsed quality to them, wheras the only noticable difference we heard from AAC/320 and AIFF source was that the AAC seemed to be a bit louder (they must be using a bit of dynamic compression in their codec). The differences were most noticable on classical music, mainly things like choral works where there is a lot of airy reverb contrasted with strong sibilant vocal sounds. AAC 192 actually sounded pretty good on most Pop/Rock/Rap material, with just a slight collapsing of the stereo field and a tiny tiny high end roll-off. The 128 AAC that the iTunes store uses though is really not worth 99 cents - if they moved it up to 192kbps, I would consider using it, but 128 exhibits too many artifacts to be considered money worthy in my opinion.

Anyone else tried a comparison yet?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:48 AM

I've done comparisons at 128 and 192 and while you can always pick out the AIFF file under critical listening I have yet to hear anything as bad as some of these reviewers can hear.
For my casual listening requirements I am ripping at 192AAC whereas I was using 192mp3 previously. I will pay 99cents for 128AAC and I'm sure as things progress the bitrate will get higher.

imo AAC does sound better than mp3, although I have only used iTunes for encoding and not gone to the trouble that this record store owner has.

I guess the fact that he owns a record store wouldn't be clouding his opinion any?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:53 AM

im ripping two batches of AAC for my own CD's. A set @ 96 for the "b" side material. And a set @ 128 for my favorties. I didnt find a big difference between native aiff and 96 through in-ear style ipod earphones. I hope to get about 6 thousands songs on my ipod.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:52 PM

Has anyone here compared AAC to LAME encoded MP3's? There's a lot of talk about this on the Apple forums, most people there favor LAME. I've compared a few different variations of LAME and AAC, but haven't noticed much of a difference between the two at comparable bit rates. Any other opinions on the two?