Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Plugins not scanning nicely

One Ring to rule them all... it only really takes one screwed plugin to mess up everything, you don't even need to instantiate it in a session. Sometimes you cannot even launch PT because of a bad plugin, and it might not be the one that looks like jamming the launch (might be a plugin loaded before that and another plugin just looks like being the problem).
Old 09-30-2019, 10:59 AM

I like the Console idea. At least I might be able to see what process it’s stuck on. I think I’ve had it before where the splash screen SAYS it’s scanning a plugin, but it’s actually lagging or hasn’t refreshed and the sticky wicket isn’t actually THAT one.

Thank you for the help, folks, much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:17 PM

macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.6)

Originally Posted by BScout
Something is going on with 10.12 versions of macOS. Easiest solution is upgrade to 10.13.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Also many have reported strange issues with latest Sierra updates, so simply upgrading to High Sierra usually resolves the problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
For anyone interested, I did the update to 10.13.6. No word on performance but it did resolve the "64bit not available" issue for me.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor

Last edited by unkJE; 09-30-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: SaschaP confirms 10.13.6 resolves the "64bit not available" issue
Old 09-30-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.6)

Originally Posted by BScout
Something is going on with 10.12 versions of macOS. Easiest solution is upgrade to 10.13.6

That is interesting.

But again... my system was fine. There is no “upgrade” here. Just trying to reinstall the same setup as before. Would rather not go to a new OS if I don’t have to.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
That is interesting.

But again... my system was fine. There is no “upgrade” here. Just trying to reinstall the same setup as before. Would rather not go to a new OS if I don’t have to.
Why not if it solves the problem? The process is relatively painless. Takes a bit of time but worth it. Trust those of us wh have been there and done that and experienced that.

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why not if it solves the problem? The process is relatively painless. Takes a bit of time but worth it. Trust those of us wh have been there and done that and experienced that.

Will it solve the problem when there wasn’t a problem before? Maybe I could explain to you that as someone who managed a studio for 14 years and has managed his own rig for more, from the original MBox and PT 6.x to now, that I’ll stick with a proven combination until I am REQUIRED to change operating systems?

It’s not to be argumentative, but again... system was working before. Just want to get back to that with the same specs it has had for quite some time now on 10.12.6. Maybe others have had issues... I had ZERO issues.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Will it solve the problem when there wasn’t a problem before? Maybe I could explain to you that as someone who managed a studio for 14 years and has managed his own rig for more, from the original MBox and PT 6.x to now, that I’ll stick with a proven combination until I am REQUIRED to change operating systems?

It’s not to be argumentative, but again... system was working before. Just want to get back to that with the same specs it has had for quite some time now on 10.12.6. Maybe others have had issues... I had ZERO issues.
You got lucky - that's all. Doesn't matter how long you've been at this game. We're trying to help you with a proven remedy and you refuse to take that help. Sierra and PT 2019.6 are on the hairy edge of compatibility but why dance on that edge? Like the old saying goes 'some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you' and you're at that latter part.

You could have a combination of things causing your issue but until you do a clean install of High Sierra and your plugins then you'll more likely than not continue to have issues. And that means NOT using Migration Assassin either

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You got lucky - that's all. Doesn't matter how long you've been at this game. We're trying to help you with a proven remedy and you refuse to take that help. Sierra and PT 2019.6 are on the hairy edge of compatibility but why dance on that edge? Like the old saying goes 'some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you' and you're at that latter part.

You could have a combination of things causing your issue but until you do a clean install of High Sierra and your plugins then you'll more likely than not continue to have issues. And that means NOT using Migration Assassin either

All due respect... computers don’t know what “luck” is. The studio I used to run and my own home rig were running just fine on 10.12.6. Were we both lucky? And even if I “lucked out” and had a magic combination that worked, it means it can work again. If you can offer the logical argument for why High Sierra would solve the problem, and not just offer your own anecdotal evidence for how YOU lucked out with that event... great.

As for my experience... remember when QuickTime broke 6.4 (or 6.7... I can’t remember, been a while)? When we had to pick between the front and rear FireWire ports on the G5 towers? I beta tested the Lexicon PCM96 until the main guy left and no one else knew how to fix it. I remember when Migration Assistant, running overnight, was a better option than trying to pull out all your system disks - CDs! - from your drawer. I’ve resoldered a$0.10 blown cap on an HD card rather than send it back to Cali for hundreds of dollars. I’m not bragging, I’m just saying... I’ve done my share of weirdo “this doesn’t work” troubleshooting. I’ve never - NEVER - had a working combination fail after a clean reinstall of the same.

FWIW, I’m waiting for answers from the plugin people. I’ll peep the Console when I’m done the current project (another reason not to change OSs... because, well, you don’t mess with a system in the middle of a project, right?), try to find a logical explanation. In the meantime, if anyone can offer me a logical solution - even just to tell me why High Sierra solves the problem, not just that you lucked out and it worked when you tried it - I’m all ears.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
The studio I used to run and my own home rig were running just fine on 10.12.6
Yes, and then you needed to wipe your system drive and do a complete reinstall. So while you were probably using same software and plugin installers, the underlying operating system might have changed. Strange thing with computers is when you do updates over -say- 10.12.0 up until 10.12.6 it is a different system than installing 10.12.6 to begin with.

Time to cool down everybody and wait for the answers from plugin vendors. And let me say this again: they might be just as clueless and even recommend upgrading to newer operating system to avoid the random problem.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, and then you needed to wipe your system drive and do a complete reinstall. So while you were probably using same software and plugin installers, the underlying operating system might have changed. Strange thing with computers is when you do updates over -say- 10.12.0 up until 10.12.6 it is a different system than installing 10.12.6 to begin with.

Now THAT’S logical! Something IS different because it WAS working and now it ISN’T. Logic follows that if it DID work, it CAN again.

Let’s not confuse “not supported” with “won’t work”. Like when Avid dropped “support” for the 002 family even though the 003 was... it’s only because they don’t enough time or will to keep the old machines around, but as long as the 003 was supported, equal performance would be expected from the 002. I still keep my Powercore FW working, even though it’s “unsupported”. I believe PT is supported on my machine with 10.12.6, so I will expect it to work. Avid support will be useless because they’ll claim my 002 is “unsupported”... I know because that happened when trying to get their support on PT still being unable to scan >100 plugins after deleting the databases (I had to find a post somewhere about it, Avid refused to help or acknowledge the issue remains).

If I remember correctly, I didn’t do the High Sierra thing right away because of doubts of compatibility with my 002r. I guess the kext thing has been solved, and people are actually using the FW-TB adaptor with newer Macs and their 002r. But before keeping on suggesting that I update, keep that possible issue in mind. And don’t tell me to get rid of my highly-modified, one-of-a-kind, Black Lion Audioed 002r... if and when it finally dies, a Lynx Aurora will be its replacement. But for now, it’s a fabulous sounding box, giving nothing up against an HD interface.