Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post
It’s time to set the record straight about the future of Digidesign. We’d like to share some information, answer some questions, and explain our new brand strategy. Check out this letter and join the discussion here.
As a long term Digidesign user it is my sincerest hope that with the various changes, Avid as a refreshed entity will embrace a more modern approach with both developers and users.

I would also like to see Pro Tools work in a more integrated manner with other applications such as like Soundflower It is now to all of our benefit to have our tools work together and in tandem.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Whenever a corporation in the midst of growing tells you they have something special for you, don't turn around. At least not without a towel to bite on.

There is an alternate universe where companies set goals based on quality and customer happiness, for which they're willing to compromise on profit maximization and growth. They're healthy companies that do extremely well, they just have different priorities; the sort of priorities companies in this universe like to pretend they have in press releases.

I'm sure I represent a decent chunk of Pro Tools users who will continue to use the product so long as it does what I want it to they way I want it to, and couldn't give a crap about the parent company. If it folds, it's not my fault, and if it succeeds at the expense of the product, I'll move on. The only thing I could possibly care less about is what logo you slap on the hardware. But please don't tell me any of this is in my best interest; this is in the company's best interest. This will go better if you don't think of me as an idiot.

_Mike
Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM

Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE enable our login to steer us to an area where we can design our own profiles, complete with our own, individual system setups, so that we can easily see when and what updates are available, and how changing parts of our system affects how the individual parts work.

The current "approved" list is a nightmare... between computer hardware(G5, MacPro), computer OS (10.4, 10.5, 10.6), PTHD program (7.x, 8.x) Digi hardware (Mix, PCIx, PCIe), the possible combinations are overwhelming.

I'd like ONE PAGE that has MY current system on it, with any and all upgrades, both hardware and software that are available to me.... and pop ups that will show how changing one aspect affects the others. If I own PCIx hardware and a G5, knowing that upgrading to a newer MacPro won't work should be easy, yet it is just about impossible now with the current "approved" page.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM

"We’re also committed to expanding our product lines further—in fact, we have some incredible new audio products in store for 2010 and beyond…"

Old 04-02-2010, 03:27 PM

What does that mean for the customers that forked over 30K for expanded HD systems, with all this "DigiDesign" hardware? My guess is that we will be forced to shell out thousands of dollars more for the same hardware with a different name on it. These upgrade paths are simply unfair and getting very tiresome. I am fed up with this constant upgrading every 2-3 years when it means absolutely nothing in the end.

If you are doing records, it all gets played on systems that can't/won't represent the bit depth adequately, or will be compressed to mp3's which has been no friend to audiophiles or the industry in general.

Back in the day, if you bought an SSL or a Neve, or even something you loved and it was able to create the sound you were hearing, you stuck with it. There was no reason to go out and purchase the latest SSL, Neve or whatever just to keep up with an industry and a company that devalues it's own innovation only after a couple of years. Digi abandoned TDM and HD users when they started to sell LE systems, and I don't see them suddenly changing. This is about making HD customers spend another wad of cash for hardware with a different company brand on it. There had better be some fair exchange program announced with this new line of hardware that does not gouge loyal customers or you will lose many including myself, and I will be leading that charge to boycott using this gear. There are plenty of affordable alternatives, and I am sure many producers, musicians, Universities, etc. will see it just like I do.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Question Re: Digidesign Transformation

It seems none of your team are pet owners, or they'd be familiar with AVID microchip pet ID. I find the new name to be, maybe not confusing, easily forgotten, or mis-interpreted. I had to dig your website link out of the "pet and animal" folder in my bookmarks, because I had recently filed it there, thinking it was the link for pet ID. I can see the connection of the name to video, but it's a stretch, and it does not bring audio to mind in any way.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM

New Coke.

Eliminating an industry-leading brand name to serve the corporate parent is, in my humble opinion, insane.

But what do I know.

The BRAND was Digi, not ProTools.

The BRAND is not the product names... you guys should know better than that. That's one reason why "ProTools" is a lousy brand name -- you can buy a $199 version and a $50,000 version. Confusing to both customers.

Whatever. I am no longer in the biz. I wish Avid continued success.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I still can't quite understand why the SAME plugin code costs TWICE as much in TDM form as it does in native form.
As long as there is someone willing to pay double (or more) there will be someone willing to sell a higher priced product even if its exactly the same.

Avid's marketing and product placement has always been this way.
On the video side of things Avid has gone a long way from $200K video editing systems to MC software only, but still FCP has taken a huge chunk of that market, mostly because Avid is insisting to force products like Mojo DX (an overpriced HDMI output) down HD video editor's throats. You could buy a Mac+FCP+Black Magic decklink extreme HD for the price of that box alone.

It seems the current generation of managers/studio owners is getting smarter, and with a tight economy its often IS smarter to look for a more reasonable alternative.

I do hope Avid goes native with ProTools. So instead of focusing on feature limitations (they think will help them maximize their profit), they could focus on creating the absolute best product - a DAW that will hands down kill all competition.

sadly we aint there yet,
But if they do that, they might actually maximize profits and stay on top.

oh, and BTW I don't mind the name change, as long as the DUC as a forum stays intact. I love this place and the people that I've met here are top guys.
I am also signed up to 'Avid user community' but the DUC is so much better in so many ways.

So please go ahead and swap names/whatever just keep the DUC alive
Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 PM

One thing I do see the letter has done -

Many first time posters.

That in my book is a huge success in e-marketing.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano111 View Post
One thing I do see the letter has done -

Many first time posters.

I was noticing the same thing...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)