How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2009, 04:55 AM

Default roland gw-7 as midi controller?

hey

just a quick question, im tryna use a controler for structure free, and all iv got is a roland GW-7 keyboard. it has midi out which iv connected to my 003 rack. i click setup> peripherals> midi controllers> and assign type: hui r.from: port 1, send to: structure free 1 port A. Of the course the keyboard is on and working,

yet protools keeps popping up saying its unable to communicate with the HUI.

1. i dont even know if i can use the gw7 with structure free, or as a midi controler for that matter,
2. i wouldnt know how to set it up if i could, i think im doing the right thing as described above,

any help?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:23 AM

Default Re: roland gw-7 as midi controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickofeden View Post
just a quick question, im tryna use a controler for structure free, and all iv got is a roland GW-7 keyboard. it has midi out which iv connected to my 003 rack.
This is a great start, and is all you really need to do with regards to the hardware.

The area you are having trouble is understanding what your hardware is, and some confusion between what is is and what it isn't.
The GW7 is a MIDI controller, not a MIDI control surface.

A MIDI controller typically has piano style keys and is used to control/trigger musical instruments.

A MIDI Control Surface is typically a MIDI mixer, used to control levels in DAW software; volume, pan, play, stop, FFW, REW, etc.

Quote:
i click setup> peripherals> midi controllers> and assign type: hui r.from: port 1, send to: structure free 1 port A.
There is no need to do this. You are trying to use the GW7 as a MIDI Control surface (a mixer). It's not a mixer. What you really want to be doing is using the GW7 as what it is; a MIDI controller.

Quote:
yet protools keeps popping up saying its unable to communicate with the HUI.
That's because the GW7 is NOT a hui controller, nor is it capable of acting like a hui controller.

Quote:
1. i dont even know if i can use the gw7 with structure free, or as a midi controler for that matter,
Yes you can.
Quote:
2. i wouldnt know how to set it up if i could, i think im doing the right thing as described above,
You are not doing the right thing as described above. Where did you "learn" to do that anyway?

No offense is intended here, but I think you need to spend some time with the Pro Tools Reference Guide (the "manual"). It is available as a PDF after installing the Pro Tools software (both from the help menu within the program and from the start menu in Windows), and it contains a LOT of the instruction on what you are trying to do. (honestly, had you read it, you wouldn't be trying what you described above).

You might also benefit from the tutorials that I have on my website (www.ptnewbie.com), especially the "How to Use Softsynths in Pro Tools" (<--click here) tutorial.

It's really great that you're jumping in with two feet, but slow down just a bit and learn about the tools that you've spent so much money on.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM

Default Re: roland gw-7 as midi controller?

thanks for the helpfull information,

i used to have an maudio projectmix and i thought i was dealing with midi in the same way as the keys~

aparently not, midi was always my severe weak area's :/