Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Another IK Multim-Media Group Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Something I found out is the stuff Softube did for NI were done on spec for NI and not their normal (ST's) work. Witness what they did when the SSL emulations were broken out of Guitar Rig 5 - the gui totally changed with a whole new layout to boot.

The multiband compressor is one of the reasons I like the IK stuff - all done for you. Although the flexibility of MB7-2 and vst plug compressors can be neat but a bit of work to set up.

I can't seem to get along with the Avid Channel Strip. Biggest problem I have is getting a good visualization of the eq curves in the display - getting all bands to show correctly at one time. Must be missing something.
I didn't know that ST even did the SSL for NI until previously in this thread. So, this NI SSL and the new skin version: Any idea if they make any internal changes or was it just a new paint job?

I agree that the CS does not the most easy EQ to visualize. It's so darned small, and the fading of colors behind one another can be tough to see as you mention. I've spent a good deal of time working with it to try to get a feel for it based on the positive response I got from this forum when I asked how well it stood up with other console channel emulations. I've certainly gotten a feel for it for normal issues, like some clean up and minimal to moderate EQ shaping. The best thing for me is that on my old machine, I could put one of these on every track on a 20-25 track effort and still have room for CPU hogs for my Reverb and my to-bus,

I'm willing to bet that more of my shortcomings are due to skill rather than tool. I think the same thing about the NI SSL product.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I didn't know that ST even did the SSL for NI until previously in this thread. So, this NI SSL and the new skin version: Any idea if they make any internal changes or was it just a new paint job?

I agree that the CS does not the most easy EQ to visualize. It's so darned small, and the fading of colors behind one another can be tough to see as you mention. I've spent a good deal of time working with it to try to get a feel for it based on the positive response I got from this forum when I asked how well it stood up with other console channel emulations. I've certainly gotten a feel for it for normal issues, like some clean up and minimal to moderate EQ shaping. The best thing for me is that on my old machine, I could put one of these on every track on a 20-25 track effort and still have room for CPU hogs for my Reverb and my to-bus,

I'm willing to bet that more of my shortcomings are due to skill rather than tool. I think the same thing about the NI SSL product.
ST probably made some internal changes to break the plugs out of GR5 but what those are I don't know. I had Komplete 8 and in that version GR5 did NOT have the SSL emulations; those were a separate purchase and I didn't want to have a bunch of GR running just to have a compressor or eq. I know the graphics difference because of when the old plugs were on the NI site.

QAPLA!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
ST probably made some internal changes to break the plugs out of GR5 but what those are I don't know. I had Komplete 8 and in that version GR5 did NOT have the SSL emulations; those were a separate purchase and I didn't want to have a bunch of GR running just to have a compressor or eq. I know the graphics difference because of when the old plugs were on the NI site.
They used the older skinned SSL inside of Kontakt, but it was up to the instrument developer whether or not to include having the SSL package as part of their functionality. The Abbey Roads / Studio Drummer sets is where I see it often They rely on the EQ a great deal when changing from preset to preset within a kit. They also use a Reverb that's found elsewhere, IIRC, but I always turn all the reverb sends off when I set up my drums. I apply what I want and need in PT instead.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM

Just wanted to report my experiences with IKs gear as they have been great, their plugs are surprisingly well sounding in comparison to a lot of other stuff. I own the original SSL Duende Native, lots of the Waves, Softube, etc. and the T-RackS plugs are sounding much better you would expect it before having tried it. The NI stuff is far behind in sound quality as well as it is in the handling-just IMpersonalO of course. Demoed it all once too. Also the original Avid plugs (even they are not that bad either) canīt compete with the T-RackS emulations by far.
There were situations where IKs SSL stuff worked better than the original SSL Duende or the Waves SSL.
Whats really nice about the T-RackS gear is that itīs got kinda "Hardware-feel/sound-charakter", more than many other plugins.
Of course itīs got "a sound", most of it at least (Linear EQ is quite clean though e.g.), but also the Waves plugs got kinda "sound", so Softubes etc.
As long as it is a really good sound and you like the kind of sound...
So itīs more a question of taste IMO, but for sure not a question of quality to go for T-RackS or not.
And if you have gone through the license/custom shop procedure once, you will never have to think about it anymore.
It doesnīt touch you ever while working with the plugs or the standalone version.
Except if you wanna try some new gear of the Custom Shop, then you will have to go there again (leave the Custom Shop open while demoing the new stuff).
Once the gear is officially bought, you can close the Custom Shop, leave the web and simply forget about it.
Iīm actually not a big fan of the "virtual money" too, I have to say, but itīs not a big problem either. If I finally want the stuff, I buy it (by which currency ever) or I just simply leave it.
Finally let me say that me personally can definitely recommend the T-RackS stuff.
It just sounds really good and itīs quite easy to get seriously professional results quickly.
Anyway.
As I previously said, itīs of course just my personal opinion and experience Iīm talking about here.
No hard feelings, guys!
The very best to you, have fun,

VRW

Mac Mini i7, 16GBRAM, Apogee Quartet, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.0.2, Logic Pro X 10.0.3, IK Multimedia, Waves, SSL Duende Native, MCDSP, Softube....
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Just wanted to report my experiences with IKs gear as they have been great, their plugs are surprisingly well sounding in comparison to a lot of other stuff. I own the original SSL Duende Native, lots of the Waves, Softube, etc. and the T-RackS plugs are sounding much better you would expect it before having tried it. The NI stuff is far behind in sound quality as well as it is in the handling-just IMpersonalO of course. Demoed it all once too. Also the original Avid plugs (even they are not that bad either) canīt compete with the T-RackS emulations by far.
There were situations where IKs SSL stuff worked better than the original SSL Duende or the Waves SSL.
Whats really nice about the T-RackS gear is that itīs got kinda "Hardware-feel/sound-charakter", more than many other plugins.
Of course itīs got "a sound", most of it at least (Linear EQ is quite clean though e.g.), but also the Waves plugs got kinda "sound", so Softubes etc.
As long as it is a really good sound and you like the kind of sound...
So itīs more a question of taste IMO, but for sure not a question of quality to go for T-RackS or not.
And if you have gone through the license/custom shop procedure once, you will never have to think about it anymore.
It doesnīt touch you ever while working with the plugs or the standalone version.
Except if you wanna try some new gear of the Custom Shop, then you will have to go there again (leave the Custom Shop open while demoing the new stuff).
Once the gear is officially bought, you can close the Custom Shop, leave the web and simply forget about it.
Iīm actually not a big fan of the "virtual money" too, I have to say, but itīs not a big problem either. If I finally want the stuff, I buy it (by which currency ever) or I just simply leave it.
Finally let me say that me personally can definitely recommend the T-RackS stuff.
It just sounds really good and itīs quite easy to get seriously professional results quickly.
Anyway.
As I previously said, itīs of course just my personal opinion and experience Iīm talking about here.
No hard feelings, guys!
The very best to you, have fun,

VRW

Mac Mini i7, 16GBRAM, Apogee Quartet, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.0.2, Logic Pro X 10.0.3, IK Multimedia, Waves, SSL Duende Native, MCDSP, Softube....
Not knowing which IK package you have but here's what I did: I purchased the CS Classic which has the new versions of the 4 original plugs direct from IK. Then a week later I purchased from Audio Deluxe the upgrade to CS Grand which has most of the IK stuff for a price that was cheaper than buying Grand originally and didn't have to buy through IK and their own currency. Thing is the IK credits are only worth it if you buy over $100 US I think it is. The next plug I might well buy with the bucks I have in my IK account is their version of the SSL bus compressor. Oh yeah - buying through AD put the credits into my IK account just like if I had purchased the upgrade through IK :)

QAPLA!