Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Default Playing External Sources through the Eleven Unit

I'm trying to pass a digital S/PDIF signal into my Eleven Rack unit so that I can play it through the speakers hooked up to my Eleven Rack unit.

In the Mac OS X system preferences I can see that I have been succesful in getting the sound into the unit, because the line level in is moving when I push play on the CD player, and it stops moving when I turn the CD player off. I can't figure out how to get the sound to come out of the speakers though. I have no problem getting my Mac to output sounds via the speakers hooked up to the Eleven (hooked up via USB), but I want to hook up an external source, such as a CD player and/or cable box, and allow it to use the speakers also.

Anyone know a solution for this?

Thank you!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Playing External Sources through the Eleven Unit

I think if you are NOT using Pro Tools, then you have to make the selection of what input you want to go to what output and that is done on the front panel with the edit/ scroll function thingy.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsire View Post
I think if you are NOT using Pro Tools, then you have to make the selection of what input you want to go to what output and that is done on the front panel with the edit/ scroll function thingy.
I can see the signal coming in from my CD player on the front panel in the digital i/o screen, but I can't seem to get it to pass the signal out through the speakers. Meanwhile, the USB sound from my computer is outputting fine.

The main outputs is not showing any activity for the CD player but shows activity for the computer (USB connected).

I know I can probably solve this issue by connecting my CD player and cable box via optical cable to my computer and outputting everything through the USB, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route...
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM

I figured out how to make it work by using pro-tools, but still can't get it to work without setting up a track in pro-tools. Is it possible to do it without pro-tools on?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

it is if you switch the "Rig Input" to "Digital In". You would then have to switch over to a blank Rig with nothing on it. Though if you're looking to play along to said CD player, it would have to go into the FX Loop and blended in. In standalone mode, the 11R only processes one input at a time (besides the FX loop) to my knowledge.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
it is if you switch the "Rig Input" to "Digital In". You would then have to switch over to a blank Rig with nothing on it. Though if you're looking to play along to said CD player, it would have to go into the FX Loop and blended in. In standalone mode, the 11R only processes one input at a time (besides the FX loop) to my knowledge.
I'm not sure how to get to these settings that need to be changed. Can you post the menu paths or buttons if they are on the unit?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

hold 'EDIT/BACK" for a couple of seconds or so. This will take you to the user options screen. Select "Rig Input". then select "Digital L, R, or L+R" whichever one you want to use. Make sure you're on a blank rig, or else the sound of the CD player will be affected by whatever preset you have on.

But if you want to play along with the CD player using the 11R w/o being connected to PT, you're gonna have to go through the FX loop. The FX Loop does not work with input from the Digital In. (yet. vote for it on ideascale)
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack