Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Axe FX 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
I'm a former Ultra owner and a big Cliff Chase supporter and pretty active member over there so it's kind of disappointing to see some of the stuff posted here about him which is taken completely out of context and used in a very self-serving manner. Argue, disagree, whatever, but that's what it is. I've been over there since 2008 and the amount of whining that's going on in those forums is beyond ridiculous and it's taken it's toll on the guy.

In my humble opinion the problem has never been Cliff when it comes to the elitist attitude. Yes sometimes he's a bit short or very matter of fact, but you have to remember that he's been dealing for years with detractors (just like some posting here) so he's going to have a bit of a defensive tone in a lot of his posts. It may not be the best way to handle it, but it's human nature.

But the real crux of the issue is that there are two groups of people involved here; the ones that have the AxeFX stuff and love to shove everyone's noses in it and the ones that don't have it and either don't believe that it's as good as advertised or don't want to. I'll be the first to admit that the attitude by other owners has put me off more than a few times.

What you own doesn't make you play better nor does it make you any more valuable as a person. It's all about finding the tool that can be used to do what you need to accomplish. It's like saying a 2lb hammer is better than a sledge hammer. Depends on the person using it and the job at hand.

A great comparison would be the epiphone and gibson arguments on every frickin' guitar forum on the planet. Which one is better? Which one is worth the money? Which one _____ ?

Who cares? Anytime you have a subjective topic it's going to be polarizing and the only person that needs to answer it is the person using it and he's the only person he needs to convince. Unfortunately what we own seems to define us and anyone that doesn't like what we own seems to be seen as being against us or offending us. It's pretty sad and smacks of insecurity. And that goes on both sides of the argument.

But as someone who has owned both the Ultra and the 11R there is one that I definitely prefer because TO ME it works better and does what I want it to do. And guess what...it ain't the 11R. I'm not saying that it sucks or anything, I think that its a great device, but the AxeFX fit MY needs and MY tastes better. Only reason I sold it was because of the improved IR support in the AxeFXII which I plan on buying in the near future. The 11R was bought to hold me over until I got the new AxeFX.

What separates me from the rest of the maniacs over there is that I'm not sitting in front of the computer for 19 hours of the day hitting the refresh button on the browser hoping that I can buy an AxeFXII, miss out on it and then complain in 400 threads that are centered around complaining about it. It's just stuff and you can always buy more or different stuff.

I'm positive that it'll be great and the level of support that Fractal provides isn't just good, it's astounding in my experience. But it doesn't cure cancer or dispense hundred dollar bills. I'll live if I don't have it today or even tomorrow. Unfortunately my view isn't shared and he's being bombarded by a bunch of people that aren't listening to what he says; they are trying to interpret and read between the lines in order to read what they WANT to read. He said that he would be getting them out within a few weeks and low and behold he has started doing just that. Everyone was told that he has to assemble them and he's doing just that.

What part of that is open for interpretation or cause for the incessant whining?

What it does explain to me though is why so many people out there in the world of the internet are so anti-Fractal Audio. It's not Cliff and it's not the product, it's the people that own them 99% of the time. Don't put that on the product or on the designer.
Well said and point taken about Cliff, however he would be better off hiring someone else to deal with his customers IMHO.

Whilst I don't own an Axe FX, (not because I can't afford one) I am definately NOT anti about them. I have never used one, but judging by it's specs and other peoples opinions I'm sure it is a great product.

I do own an 11R and as you said, for me, it serves my purpose well and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a professional musician so the expense just doesn't justify itself in my case.

The only reason I've lept into this subject a few times is because I can't stand the holier than thou attitude of some people who own (or want to own) certain products and seem to align owning them with their self esteem and often think they are or will be a better musician for possessing such equipment.

Their insecurity in doing so just leaves them open to a good prodding because they are simply making a fool of themselves!

From my 30 years in the music industry, I've never seen a good musician that can't make any piece of gear sound good and a great musician make anything sound absolutely fantastic. Therein lies the often overlooked true meaning of what a gifted musician is....their attitude towards their craft & the humility displayed in performing it.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
I'm a former Ultra owner and a big Cliff Chase supporter and pretty active member over there so it's kind of disappointing to see some of the stuff posted here about him which is taken completely out of context and used in a very self-serving manner. Argue, disagree, whatever, but that's what it is. I've been over there since 2008 and the amount of whining that's going on in those forums is beyond ridiculous and it's taken it's toll on the guy....
Just say you where in business, and you had a list of very powerful investors, now if you carried on like that for a long time which Cliff has, and those investors found out what do you think those investors would be saying?

And if you carried on like that in a business where you said those types of things about management and the world could see it how long do you think you would last in that job?

It's also strange that after I posted that message here it was deleted on the Axe FX forum - I wonder why? So my post had the desired effect - whether it was actually because of me posting here or the moderator deciding it was undesirable to have that sort of post floating around is arguable . Now seeing that the message was deleted does this mean that Cliff was banned from his own forum?

In the hobby/lifestyle I've chosen it's been often said that the attitude of the teacher does affect the attitudes of the students. So the attitudes of Cliff's is being reflected at large by his acolytes in "The Gear Page", in fact, he himself posts there as well. I've seen people who think they are superior just because their teacher is such and such, the look on their face when they end up on the floor ... priceless.

So, if Cliff doesn't have a thick enough skin to deal with a couple of niggling posts then for the love of guitars get out of this business. I can't repeat some of the things people have said to me over YouTube, for instance questioning my sexual activity and dietary habits, but, life goes on.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Props to Cliff for his product.

OTOH, it's hard to imagine all the drama surrounding the product without the cult of personality. I'm not saying that Cliff has fostered that cult, but it's pretty clear (from my own observations) that he's done little to discourage it.

I agree with zedhed: Cliff should find someone else to be the public face of the company.