Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 06-09-2014, 06:13 AM

Default There has got to be a way to get the jog wheel to scroll correctly!

This is distracting as hell! I wrote a Wheel Command to be able to quickly scroll through the mixer channels. It works BUT it's BACKWARDS!

I have to turn the wheel left to go right and right to go left!

Can anyone here tell me how to get this wheel to scroll in the correct direction?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Re: There has got to be a way to get the jog wheel to scroll correctly!

Pages 47 - 50 of the Artist's Control User's Guide gave step by step instructions on how to set up Jog Wheel Commands. Someone on the Avid site helped me tweak it to the specific task, as the manual's example was inserting up & down arrows when the wheel turned left and right.

Quote:
To create a custom Jog command:
1 Select Wheel from the Section pop-up menu. The Soft Key Wheel window opens.
(Creating a command in the Soft Keys tab
It is normal for the window to show an image of the Artist Transport.)

2 Double-click the Jog label. The Jog Wheel Command Editor opens.

3 Click the + button and select Arrow Keys as the name for the command. Note that the lower pop-up is set to Turn Jog Right. TheJog Wheel must be programmed to turn right and left.

4 Click the Add pop-up menu and select the Key command type.

5 Select Down Arrow from the Insert Special pop-up menu. You have assigned the command for the Jog Wheel to turn right, now
assign it to turn left.
Soft Key Wheel
Jog Wheel
6 Select Turn Jog Left and select the Key command type from the Add pop-up menu.

7 Select Up Arrow from the Insert Special pop-up menu.

8 Close the Jog Wheel Command Editor. You can now select a Soft Key to press to assign it to the Jog Wheel.

To assign a Soft Key for the new Jog Wheel command:
1 In the Soft Key tab of EuControl, select Artist Control Surface from the Section pop-up.

2 Find a blank Soft Key and double-click it. You may need to select a different (or new) page to find a blank key. The Soft Key
Command Editor dialog opens.

3 Select the Wheel command type from the Add pop-up menu.

4 Select Artist Control’s Jog from the Wheel pop-up menu. Make sure to select Artist Control’s Jog (bottom) and not Artist Transport’s
Jog (top). Icons beside their labels make this clear.

5 Select Function > Custom > arrow keys.

6 Close the Soft Key Command Editor.
Soft Keys dialog
Soft Key
I inserted both the Track select Left AND Right commands into the Jog Wheel as instructed.

Then I inserted both custom commands into the Soft Key as instructed.

So why won't the tracks scroll left when I turn the jog wheel left (or vice versa)??????
Old 06-09-2014, 05:50 PM

So why don't you just reverse the commands?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 PM

I THINK I may have found part of the problem. In Figure 1, only one of the commands is present in the jog wheel. I programmed 2. Next, I noticed that I can stack any combination of commands EXCEPT WHEEL COMMANDS. I was able to add KC, MC, Page & Eucon. But when I tried to add a second wheel command, it kept going back to Add status.

I can build macro commands in the Soft Key Section, as seen in Figure 2.

So, do I have some kind of malfunction here, or is that the way it's supposed to work in the jog wheel command section?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
I THINK I may have found part of the problem. In Figure 1, only one of the commands is present in the jog wheel. I programmed 2. Next, I noticed that I can stack any combination of commands EXCEPT WHEEL COMMANDS. I was able to add KC, MC, Page & Eucon. But when I tried to add a second wheel command, it kept going back to Add status.

I can build macro commands in the Soft Key Section, as seen in Figure 2.

So, do I have some kind of malfunction here, or is that the way it's supposed to work in the jog wheel command section?
Why don't you just use arrow keys instead of track select. that works reliably for me
Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
Why don't you just use arrow keys instead of track select. that works reliably for me

Can you tell me how to set that up? I just tried programming the left and right arrows as Key Commands in to the jog wheel. Now the wheel doesn't move anything on the mixer at all.

How are you making it work? BTW, are you using Nuendo or Cubase?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me how to set that up? I just tried programming the left and right arrows as Key Commands in to the jog wheel. Now the wheel doesn't move anything on the mixer at all.

How are you making it work? BTW, are you using Nuendo or Cubase?
just replace the commands you already have in there with arrow up/down. I use logic, but I believe up and down will select tracks in cubase too.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
just replace the commands you already have in there with arrow up/down. I use logic, but I believe up and down will select tracks in cubase too.
It didn't work. It's still scrolling in the opposite direction. This is ridiculous!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
It didn't work. It's still scrolling in the opposite direction. This is ridiculous!
Then put the up arrow key where the down arrow was in the config and vice versa.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 AM

Here is the list of all the attempts I've made to get it function correctly.

1) Followed manual instructions and programmed the jog wheel to turn Left. Saved the command then loaded it into the MC's Surface command for the jog wheel.
2) Followed manual instructions and programmed the jog wheel to turn Right. Saved the command then loaded it into the MC's Surface command for the jog wheel.
3) Programmed the touch surface directly with it's own jog wheel commands. This included Left only, Right only, L&R and R&L together.
4) Programmed the touch surface directly with it's own jog wheel commands. This time using Left and Right arrows. This included Left only, Right only, L&R and R&L together.
5) Programmed the touch surface directly with it's own jog wheel commands. This time using Up and Down arrows. This included Up only, Down only, Up & Down and Down & Up together.
6) Finally took a "nuclear option" and did a clean restore to factory settings of Eucon (which now requred that I re-write all of my shortcuts and other mods in other areas from scratch!) and cleared the touch surface settings to nothing!

All of these attempts led to the same result. If I turn the jog wheel right, my mixer channels scroll left! If I turn the jog wheel left, my mixer channels scroll right!

Someone here said it was a Logitec mouse issue. I'm using a Kensington trackball. Does it work correctly on Macs? If so, why won't it work on PC? This is such a simple command. Why is it soooo hard to get this thing to scroll the channels in the SAME DIRECTION that I turn the jog wheel?!!?

This is supposed to be my swipe strip (like Nuage or Tango) for scrolling quickly through channels. It works better than the trackball and cursor because once I land on the channel I need, I can launch the channel edit button from a single button KC on my Xtra keys, as opposed to having to waste time moving the TB up to the icon to select it. Also, when the screen is crowded, I don't have to change the window just to reach the cursor. So it's pretty important to improved workflow. Is it too much to ask to have the scroll and the wheel moving in the same direction? WTH?