Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Conumdrum: New Mac Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Here are 50 stereo tracks with 250 native verbs. Late 2013 imac Quad core,
3.5 GHz, Intel i7, 16 GB ram, close to 56% here - just as a point of comparison -- GO nMP !!!
Well that's sounds better than what I was reading through this thread (and through pro tools expert test). Yet there's still much overhead to pay to be able to get exactly what you want compared to what it used to cost (mac side) and what it cost pc side. Time will tell for sure.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM

The time is hear and you are correct. A excellent PT 11 Mac system today to set up is $15K and up. I can not comment on PC's. I started with Paris audio and PC's. Had issues went to Mac's then and never looked back. Then to Emagic and up to now. To think a new Mac Pro 12 core, 700 video card, 64 Gig ram, 1T
flash drive, $10K out the door! We are not even talking about HDX cards, mounting hardware, Pro Tools, drives, plug-in's, VI's, or even a monitor or a keyboard. It's all relative though. I remember a new Vdub Beatle sold for $2K.
If you have the budget and the work demands it. I would say the new Mac Pro is the way to go.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM

Default Conumdrum: New Mac Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
If you have the budget and the work demands it. I would say the new Mac Pro is the way to go.

In a phrase - the sum of the topic for sure
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 01-31-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM

I have the new 8 core with the avid thunderbolt HD interface and I just tried over 800 D-verbs at the default setting across 128 stereo tracks and it still had room!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 AM

Wait till you see what it can do with VEP5 and SSD's, never mind the processing power with HDX cards.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 AM

Welcome to modern computing (older Mac Pro users) it's nice isn't it !! - got to love that USB 3.0

Bout time huh ?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 PM

I am running 2011 MacPro with lots RAM, HD x AAX. It has never even had even a hiccup. If and when I start noticing problems I will upgrade. As you approach the bleeding edge, the cost goes up exponentially. I see no more reason to buy a faster computer than drop a dragster engine into my Toyota. The best computer money can buy will also look bland in one year. You could buy a refurbished MP today and in one year buy the best computer out today at an incredible discount. The sum total would still be less than a new MP. Crunch the numbers. If money is no object go for the bleeding edge but understand it won't make your mixes any better.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
I am running 2011 MacPro with lots RAM, HD x AAX. It has never even had even a hiccup. If and when I start noticing problems I will upgrade. As you approach the bleeding edge, the cost goes up exponentially. I see no more reason to buy a faster computer than drop a dragster engine into my Toyota. The best computer money can buy will also look bland in one year. You could buy a refurbished MP today and in one year buy the best computer out today at an incredible discount. The sum total would still be less than a new MP. Crunch the numbers. If money is no object go for the bleeding edge but understand it won't make your mixes any better.

You are forgetting that in Europe we cant buy any refurbished mac pro or even new since march 2013.

And the second hand mac pro are very high.

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
You are forgetting that in Europe we cant buy any refurbished mac pro or even new since march 2013.

And the second hand mac pro are very high.

I was not aware of that fact. That does change the situation.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Some very valid points have been made. If you actually have both systems to compare next to each other, and work with them. You will notice the differences. As far as making a mix better well; If you can work through a session faster, put less fatigue on your ears, enjoy the speed and the new technology, get more work done, then perhaps the mixing will be better. As for our friends in Europe who do not have the options that we do. I assure you the new Mac Pro with Pro Tools 11 on Mavericks is awesome. I can not comment on the dragster engine in the Toyota, never had the pleasure of driving a Toyota. I drive BMW's.