Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 07-21-2001, 10:07 AM

Default How to separate tracks

Hi - I'm a new user of PT Free and not so familiar with computer music. Also I'm not a native english speaker so thanks for explaining slowly...

My configuration is : Pro Toos Free with Windows 98 second edition, Pentium 933, 128 ram, card SoundBlaster Live.

My (very basic, I guess !)problem is : how to record a track while listening and playing along to a track I've recorded before, but without re-recording the first one on the second one [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

To make things clear : say I have drums on track one and I want to record bass on track two, playing along to my drums track of course. How do I do that ? For the moment my second track is always drums+bass ! And I can't gfigure out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks anyone who might help
Frédéric
Old 07-21-2001, 11:21 AM

Default Re: How to separate tracks

Most likely you have "What You Hear" selected as your recording source in the SB Live mixer. You need to select only the input you have your bass connected to. Most likely that is your "line input".

Double-click the speaker icon in your Windows System Tray. From the "Options" menu select "Properties". Select "Recording" and click OK. Then select the "line input" if that's where the bass is connected, then click OK.

That should do it.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 07-22-2001, 02:01 PM

Mike - Thanks. But I deselect "what U hear" and select the appropriate recording source when I'm recording. I'm doing that in the pop up menu of SBLIve.

You wrote : "Double-click the speaker icon in your Windows System Tray. " and I'm not sure where's that...

I'm recording audio through a console connected to my sblive (Peavey RQ200). Maybe my problem 's got sthg to do with that ? Any clue ?
Thanks for helping
Frédéric
From the "Options" menu select "Properties". Select "Recording" and click OK. Then select the "line input" if that's where the bass is connected, then click OK
Old 07-23-2001, 03:32 AM

Mike - I'm away from my machine for the moment. I'll check the speaker icon later on. But I'm beginning to suspect the problem is less recording source selection than signal routing bw console & card.
Thanks anyway, I'll let you know.