Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 and Mbox Pro 3rd Gen Please Help!!!

I have a Mac Pro OSX 10.7.2 2.8ghz Intel Xeon Processor 3gb Ram and I recently purchased the Pro Tools 9+Mbox Pro 3rd Gen set.

Since I have OSX Lion on my Mac I couldnt install Pro tools 9, so I went to Avid and upgraded to Pro Tools 10 and installed the 1.10.14 driver for the Mbox Pro.

When I open Pro Tools i have to try 3 to 4 times every time, I either get Audio insertion or hardware used by other program errors. It also will freeze when it tries to open the tracks, and when that happens it will usually open the next time I try.

I am currently using my M auido Profire 610 because my Mbox pro does not work at all. The onboard mixer is there whether the Mbox is plugged in or not, and when I open the mixer it says at the bottom Hardware Not Connected Not Streaming.

If anyone has any guidance please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 and Mbox Pro 3rd Gen Please Help!!!

Avid is supposedly working on updated Lion drivers for Mbox Pro, but the problems that most people are having with the current drivers are not the problems you are describing.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Exclamation Re: Pro Tools 10 and Mbox Pro 3rd Gen Please Help!!!

Serio-Thanks for taking a look at my post.

I hope I dont sound to ignorant when it comes to this I never have had issues installing new equipment or upgrading my studio.

I have Pro Tools working with my M-Audio Profire 610 and my Axiom Pro 61 Keyboard/Controller. So I'm not sure why I have this 750 dollar interface just sitting in a rackspace.

I did e-mail Avid and they gave me a response which doesn't give me much to work with.

Avid's response: IN Pro Tools go to Setup>Playback Engine and look in the Current Playback Engine drop-down. Make sure the Mbox Pro is selected.

MBox Pro is not a choice of mine.

When I go to Setup>Hardware, Setup>Playback Engine, or Setup>Peripherals I have two choices: Avid Audio Engine and Pro Tools Aggregate I/O.

If anyone has Pro Tools 10 and Mbox Pro, it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know if when you go to Setup>Playback Engine is Mbox Pro a choice, and what is the Avid Audio Enigine?

It is very frustrating when you upgrade your whole system, and nothing seems to work right.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:26 PM

This may not be much help to you but at least I will answer your question.

In my Pro Tools 10 under Hardware setup, Mbox Pro shows as my only choice.

In my Setup Peripherals, I don't see any mention of my Mbox.

Please note that this is a Windows 7 machine & the results may or may not be appropriate for Macs. I do have a Mac running Pro Tools 8 & I would be happy to check it for you but it is out in the field and won't be back for awhile.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks at least I have an idea where to look.

I think I will re-install the hardware, and I read somewhere that on a Mac when you open up Pro Tools and hold N your options will come up for you to select an Audio Engine.

I also googled Avid Audio Engine, and Mbox Pro showed so maybe it just has a different name than Mbox Pro.

Thanks for the help and if your laptop comes back around soon, let me know, I just need to know the right thing to look for so maybe it will be easier to pick out what is wrong.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 and Mbox Pro 3rd Gen Please Help!!! Problem Solved

Well someone from Avid got a hold of me here are the steps.

First Mbox when I plugged it up did not show up anywhere on my computer.

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Mbox Pro.

2. Shut my Computer down.

3. Unplugged the power cable from the back of my computer-let it set for about 30 Sec.

4. Plug power cable back in to computer-let sit again for about 30 Sec.

5. Hold Command, Option, P, and R during startup until you hear the second startup sound-Resetting the PRAM

6. On MAC go to System Preferences>Sound - Select Mbox for input and output

7. On Pro Tools go to Setup>Playback Engine choose Mbox

8. On Pro Tools go to Setup>Hardware click on output tab Delete all paths and click default and do the same for input
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Thank you I have been following your thread closely. I will try that. I have had a similar problem, my M Box is not showing in the play back enginge and my Mac is not seeing it in the system profile. I am still leaning towards the Firewire connection on my MAC. I have really tried everything and have done alot of reading. But I will try this first. I am running Protools 10. I thought this would be an easy install lol.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Do u have the latest driver installed for the Mbox pro? That should be installed before you install PT 10. I have the mbox pro installed and Pt 10. You should also look at your audio midi setup utilitie and see if the Mbox is showing up there, or even your macs system prefs sound output it should be in the list there as well. If it isn't you may need to delete old preferences delete And reinstall the driver.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Also launch pro tools and hold down the N key and this will let you select your hardware, if it is still not showing up you have some sort of conflict. Try a new user account on the Mac and see if it works there.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM

As far as I know I have the latest drivers meaning I used the ones that came with it. After reading that those may not be current I went to the Avid site and installed those on there site still no luck. So I went back to the disks. I do see the M BOX in system preferences. A tech told me that this means that the drivers are installed if the MBOX shows up there. Is that right then? When I open it up in System preferences it says Hardware not connected and Not Streaming in the bottom left corner. Its like the firewire connection is blocked. I am going to try a PRAM reset. Thank you for the N Key advice I have not tried that going to try that now as well.