Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Unhappy My rant, anger, and sorrow

Ok, this is my rant. I am not trying to bash here just laying out my experience and why I am frustrated at this point.

I bought an 003 factory because I liked the interface, and Pro tools was industry standard. I had experience on a PT HD system so I thought, "it should be like that but with no DSP chips and what not." I have no ADC, limited track count, limited bus count, and yet I tell myself, thats ok.

I fought for probably 3 days just getting the thing up and running, including a total reinstall of mac osx at one point when it refused to even launch pro tools. Now it's running, and it works. I cant open a session without the 003 screen being garbled, and when I push play it distorts all the audio for a second then gives me a "operating system held off interrupts...blah blah" and then the faders reset and it works. I get drop outs sometimes from CPU usage even though my cpu meter reads only like 40% usage. My jog dial doesn't work (it wont jog), although I believe this is a mac osx kext problem and not PT.

I bought the dream synth I have been wanting for so very long, the access virus ti. The VST version of the total integration works great from what I am told, but RTAS users only seem to have issues. Now this is not a problem directly with pro tools but more access issue with not sorting out their RTAS implementation. Access tells me that ADC can fix some of the sync issues I have, but alas I am on LE!!!

Coreaudio seems to have lots of fun issues so I cant really use the hardware I paid for with anything outside of pro tools. This brings me to a time of hopelessness. Had I bought a euphonix controller and a nice firewire interface I would have paid basically the same amount of money and if I added a little more I could have just got any DAW I wanted and had a touch screen motorized fader interface. Sure other DAW's have their issues, but the point is I would have options. If Logic or Live suddenly started having massive issues I could just get Cubase and try that, or anything else because I would have universal hardware. I guess I still have faith that one day digi will throw out some update that will fix the problems but I doubt it. I am really at a point where I just want to sell my 003, but I have to fill out all kinds of transfer forms and find someone to buy it.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 AM

Default Re: My rant, anger, and sorrow

Return it if you haven't registered it yet and you're within the retailers policy.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Return it if you haven't registered it yet and you're within the retailers policy.
I am out of the return policy. I was really trying to give it a real go and make it work, but lately I dont even want to try anymore. I have had it for....6 months now.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Rants are fine, but if you post your mac model, external Firewire Hard Drive model, Mac OS version, amount of memory, etc. you may get some help and/or pointers.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 AM

Yes post more system details- also, where did you buy this from? They should be helping you. We help all of our Digidesign customers get Pro Tools up and running. And we consult with them about their computer specifications before we send them out a Pro Tools system. If your Digidesign dealer is not helping you get your Pro Tools system up and running, you should not be buying from them. Pro Tools is not like buying a toaster, it is a complex system that needs to be integrated and learned...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Also... an 003 will work with other daws and system sounds. You just have to be gentle.

Help us out with some system details, and we could be able to help you.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-12-2010, 02:58 PM

You're justified to rant, Creap, and are also right on the money. I went from HD to LE blindly believing it would be a simple compromise and have found the 003 & PT8 to be completely useless.

*CORRECTION* Hopeless for MIDI composition, brilliant for audio post duties. (sorry, I had to clarify that)

There's no point having all the faders if you're using COreAudio and another Daw and the lack of stability makes the PTLE experience far from robust.

My 003 is unplugged and leaning against a wall in the studio storage room waiting for some kind of realistic update that will make it worth using at all.

Meanwhile, I have a LOGIC 9.1.1 setup with a Firestudio and an Alphatrack that kicks it's sorry ass. Cheap, fast, intuitive and robust in comparison.

No rant. Fact.
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Yes! it makes you wonder what the "Firmware update" facility is for.
They obvously envisaged updates.... so?
All the while a Mixer comes to market, which is allowed to access Pro Tools.
Namely "Mackie"
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creap View Post
I am really at a point where I just want to sell my 003, but I have to fill out all kinds of transfer forms and find someone to buy it.
That is an option as I'm sure there are many people who'd love to get a good deal on a hardly used 003. Ebay may be a good way to sell it for you. As for the transfer of ownership, it is really just one form so don't sweat it. I'd agree that Protools Le is very picky bout hardware and configuration but for many of us that has not been so horrible. I for one must say it is working quite stable for me. Are you willing to share your system's configuration so we can try to help?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 AM

Yep, if you're giving up on it, let me know, I might buy it...

~peter in oakland