Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Can anyone help? Apparently not? Latency?

I'm a fairly new user and I probably don't know the "correct" terminology for describing my problem. I didn't have this problem when running PTLE/Mbox on a MAC G5. I'm using the same guitar, etc. set up, except now I'm on a PC.

I get a pop/echo percussive sound along with the note which is slightly delayed when picking a note on acoustic guitar when I'm plugged in to my mbox to record a track. Is this what's called latency? Does anyone have any idea what could cause this. Mbox w/PTLE 6.9, Pentium D 3.2 GHz, Windows Media Center XP
Old 10-17-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Can anyone help? Apparently not? Latency?

Mute the track you're recording to and use the Mix knob on the front of the Mbox to hear yourself. If you're already doing this, then, maybe someone else can help you out. Not sure what else it would be....
Old 10-17-2005, 04:03 PM

Hi.
Could be latency. You should know that from the Mac tho.
Does that delay change with your buffersetting?
On the other hand, if it was latency you should hear it as a nice gitar delay, not as a pop/echo percussion sound. What´s that anyway? just kidding.

Well man I really don´t know. If you have used the Mbox and you don´t recognize this sound as something familiar.... I really haven´t ever had a pop. Distortion maybe or static, clicks, stutter, groundnoise, ampnoise..

Can you actually record this pop/echo ?
j
Old 10-18-2005, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to check the buffer and CP stuff this afternoon. I do recall on a MAC session I bounced to disc, when I played the track off the CD, the fingerpicked notes had noticeable corresponding "thumps" I don't think it was my style. I tried to EQ it away but it did nogood. I'm more of a musician than engineer, but I really like PT, there's just a good bit I need to learn. I'm sure very good solo acoustic guitar tracks can be cut with PT if you know how. I've been either going dry direct from my onboard pre-amp or through a Yamaha Acoustic magic stomp for some tone modelling.

When I used to record with analog, I got the best sound by miking on one channel and going direct from the guitars pickups/pre-amp on a second channel, and the mixing the two. I've also had pretty good results with a Zoom digital 4-track and I've tried Garageband. Eventhough I got a few bugs to work out and I'm still trying to find the best acoustic tone (for me) that really rings and has sustain, but's not too thin or "trebley", PT is the best I've tried. I mostly just do a song on one take without any dubs or fixes, although occasionally there's stuff I'd like to tweek, when I learn how - such as a chord that's a little too loud, or maybe one note that's just barely there, etc.