Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 AM

Default So, how do YOU get around no delay compensation?

It has occurred to me recently that time has become a very relative and confusing concept in my sessions. The more I get into heavy orchestral and drum sampling (Garritan Personal Orchestra, DFH Superior, etc.), LE's lack of delay compensation is really becoming something that's difficult to work around. After bouncing the tracks out of sample land into actual waveforms I can always nudge tracks back to where they line up with my grid, but I'm curious - what do you guys do to get around not having delay compensation?

Sessions certainly aren't getting any smaller or less complicated, so are we LE enthusiasts simply stuck endlessly nudging? Is there even a way to monitor how much delay is being caused by a plug-in in LE?

Also, is the final word from Digi that there will NEVER be any form of delay compensation in LE? I thought there used to be a post on this, but it appears to have fallen into the abyss...
Old 06-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: So, how do YOU get around no delay compensation?

Very simple realy, dont use anything that causes a delay,bingo

brandy
Old 06-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Read this

Latency Chart
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Ctrl click in the volume window to see how much delay has been imposed. Now Alt H and write it in the comments. Always keep track.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:45 AM

I don't use plug-ins that cause much delay when working on LE systems, besides Reel Tape Flanger, which causes so much it's only useable as audiosuite. My favorite plug-ins don't cause delay actually, and if they do it's very little, in that case I don't care about it. If I can't hear it, it doesn't matter.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:49 AM

Hi
The right approach

brandy
Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 AM

I find this a problem too and its turning me away from PT. My favorite program Nebula3 effect system has to use the vst-rtas program and the delay is just killing me when I add the reverbs. I personally think this should be something ppl are told before buying this program cause I'm for one pissed off since this seems to be in the HD system that we beginners in using PT can definately not afford to buy.

Shame on you Digidesign, all for the $$$ it seems
Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 PM

Bouncing, bouncing, all the time bouncing!
Disabling and hiding tracks, calculating, nudging!
Inserting the track delay plug feels like I'm digging my own grave.

Instruments and anything outboard in particular.
I don't find the in box effects so bad, as for the most part they are pretty low or nil latency.

I think one approach is to make sure you're machine is beefy enough to handle all the plugs you want to use.
A bit like in an analogue studio, you have a certain amount of EQ, compression or whatever in your arsenal, you are limited to what's on your console and in your rack. But you also know that's what you can run without any second thought.
You're running native, know you're limitations.

The other key thing for me is to not have to change buffer settings, once again power.
That can destroy a session with an outboard giga sampler, midi stuff or effects in a few simple clicks.
Then you spend the next 1/2 hour trying to calculate all the stupid changes you need to make to get it all back to feeling right.
It's a real buzzkill that always crops up when you need it least, and it's hell when a client want's to do an overdub at some late stage, which always seems to happen to me.

It has not gone away as an issue. There is a petition floating around here somewhere, fill it out if you're so inclined.

This is really my only gripe with PT LE, other than having to spend a grand to tranfer my stuff to the Avid.
Digi, maybe you could just fix it, then we can stop complaining about it.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 PM

well, Ive gone back to cubase, too much hassle to work with the vst synths and plugins which I use, a shame cause I really wanted to use PT and learn to use it better.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 PM

I choose plugins with latency in mind and rarely have any concerns. As far is I'm concerned. Protools rocks and nothing is perfect anyway. Just wish I could afford an HD rig.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave