Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 08:51 PM

Default IS THIS A BUG or am I being STUPID again?

So I have a drum track right - and I decide to chop it up into different regions so I can organize the song parts a bit easier.. I set up another track to use as a holder for chunks as I move them, copy them, trim them or whatever. That 2nd track is muted so I only hear the track I'm working on... HOWEVER - if I move any of the regions on that second track anywhere I hear the track even though it is muted and have to click the mute button of and then on again to silence it. That seems kind of lame to me - OFF = OFF right? Unless I manually tell that little orange button labelled "M" I don't want to hear a damn peep from that channel... So what is the story here???
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: IS THIS A BUG or am I being STUPID again?

Maybe when you drag the region to the new track, you are dragging automation (as in mute off) with it? Just turn automation off on your original track and drop the fader.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 PM

To funny. I think PT is too dependent on its cache and often fails to sync with reality. I have plugins functioning that have been removed. I have to shut down the session and restart it to clear the cache. Lame is a kind word for what's been going on in PTLE v6.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:45 PM

I've never seen any of that behaviour. If you're having plug-ins playing which have been disabled.. something isn't correct with your system.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 PM

D-Fi is the biggest culpret. Quit repeatable and noticable. By comparison, these are very simple sessions.

This is on a PTLE dedicated MusicXPC 2.8 on a DigiOO2 console using v6.4 Factory Bundle and all CS updates installed. I have loaded nothing else on this machine and still running XP-Home SP1.

Believe me, this happens and makes me wonder about other plugins that are not quite so obvious.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:57 PM

How much RAM, do you have the latest plug-in versions... and what's your buffer setting and CPU setting in Pro Tools?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 PM

Ok I tired a really easy way to see what is going on for this experiment I have a small region 1 measure long on track 1 - I alt+shift+D to duplicate the first track and call it 2.

I then mute track 2 - and slide it a bit in one direction that is in a totally different area and as soon as I let go of the region I hear both tracks despite the fact that #2 is muted.

Automation is set to "OFF" on both or in fact on ALL channels.

Now get this - I mute 2 again and take the same region and set it off to the side again - I start to hear both - So even though the region ISN'T there anymore I hear them in unison. I took it out of shuffle mode in order to prevent it from lining up perfectly and everything seems ok but I wait a few second - sure enough I start hearing both tracks again and this time 2 is offset so it is really obvious that it kicked in... Now I move it over a bit more - without re-muting and it goes around the loop a few times - whammo I hear the muted track in the new location. I move it again completely outside the loop, it goes around a little bit and *plip* I'm back to hearing a single drum track.

I could drop the fader - but that doesn't respond right away either as per my other long standing issue. and besides - If I mute a channel it is supposed to mute and not go back on until I tell it to. How else will I be able to set proper levels, eq, or whatever. I can't have tracks turning themselves on.

One thing that I am curious about is the section called PREFERENCES under Setups - How do I want to have it set up for each of those tqabs - Display, Operation, Editing, Automation, Processing, MIDI, Machine Control?

Right now I have as follows NOTE I USE AN MBOX v. 6.4cs9 of ProTools

Display = Section 1 Not selected => track position numbers stay with hidden tracks & draw waveforms rectified
Section 2 (default length) 6:00:00 (zoom) large
Section 3 Tracks and Midi Devices
Section 4 3 seconds & infinite

Operation = Section 1 Selected => Send defaults to -inf / audio track record lock / latch record enable buttons / latch solo buttons / Link mix and group enables / link record and play faders

Section 2 Transport / Auto backup enabled /
Section 3 Record online at time code / use all available space
Section 4 0, 0, 800% ????

Editing = Section 1 NOT Selected => Auto name Memory Locations When Playing/Auto-Name Separate regions.
Crossfade Preview Pre - 3000 Post 3000

Default Fade Settings - Fade in Crossfade Fade Out
Conversion quality - better
MAtching Start Time - none selected
Quick Punch etc - 0 msec. Undo Levels 16

Automation = Section 1 SELECTED => Faders Move.../Smooth and Thin.../ Mutes Follow.../Solos Follow
Section 2 - SOME (thinning)
Touch Timeout 1000
Automatch 250
Memory for automation 200k

Processing - Use AudioSuite Dither - Selected - digidesign dither
Bit Depth - 16
AudioSuite Buffer Size - Small
TC/E - Digidesign (I could use Waves Time shifter which is recommended?
factory default

MIDI - Play notes - selected 127/30/0 Standard / none for thru instrument

Machine COntrol - NOTHING SELECTED - All values at 0

In fact I'm going to post this as a separate post altogether

thanks to anyone that can give me the proper settings here ...
Old 02-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
How much RAM, do you have the latest plug-in versions... and what's your buffer setting and CPU setting in Pro Tools?

Rail
Thank you, Rail for your noting this issue. I have mensioned this several times and have heard nothing back. As for customer service, I gave up on them long ago considering their toll free number is not available to my area. Emails are often returned with absolute nonsense to 'never heard of that before'.
The MusicXPC 2.8mhz comes with 512Mb of PC2700 Ram. The MusicXPC comes with a recovery disk and I have not made any tweeks other than removing the modem card and disabling the onboard sound card. I've installed Waves Platinum V5.0 and IR-1 V5.1 and these work fine. Keep in mind that this PC is Digidesign qualified for the DigiOO2.
The Factory bundle was purchased from Digidesign when they offered the DigiOO2 Factory upgrade at which time I upgraded from a DigiOO1. The OO2 came with PTLE v6.1 and the Factory bundle has not been upgraded from this original install. I most often work with CPU set to 85% and buffers between 512 and 1024. I leave the DAE hardware buffers set to default (2). I do not use any of the Bomb Factory plugins that come with the Bundle so they are not updated either.
I have learned to make it a habit to save and close sessions before I do a final bounce. Virtually every time I put one of the D-Fi plugins into a session and take them through their paces, they hang. Bypass works fine, but Disabling and removing the plugin from the track (Aux or Audio) will cause the plugin to remain active. Restarting the session is the only way to clear them.
It is not a big deal to me, because I know about it and there is a very simple work around. As for reliability and quality from a name like Digidesign, this is a shameful bug. I spent nearly $4000- in an attempt to fix what appeared to be system related bugs in functionality I needed for my particular style of editing and music. Only after having put the money down, did I realize it was a bug introduced by V6 and has never been addressed (fine adjust on 'show strip silence' is no longer functional). I look forward to the day I get back to V5.3.1 and an OO1 and will be looking to get back 50 cents on the dollar I spent for the OO2.
I like Protools and will continue to use it for mixing, but there is too much more available today in hardware that wasn't out there 4 years ago when I began this. I'm getting very annoyed with Digidesign as a cohesive recording environment. Maybe PTLE V7 if they really take care of some serious issues (consistent CPU usage, for instance), maybe not.