Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from PT 11 to PT11 HD without hardware tying - not possible?

Avid didn't start the whole "tied to hardware" nonsense - it was a certain fruity company...

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from PT 11 to PT11 HD without hardware tying - not possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
That said there is a way to unlock HD capability in the standard version using a complicated keyboard input. But it's really tough to do.
How?

https://soundcloud.com/1iveowl/

Pro Tools 2018.4, Windows 10 Pro x64 (w/ latest update), i9-7980XE, ASUS TUF X299 Mark II, 64 GB Memory, Samsung 850 2TB SSD, UAD Apollo Twin II TB, RME Fireface USB, UAD-2 Octo PCI, Plugins: UAD Waves, Softube, FabFilter, Lexicon, NI Komplete 11 Ult, Celemony, Slate Digital, PSP, Arturia V Collection 6, FXPansion, iZotope, SoundToys, Spectrasonics...
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhb View Post
How?

Was an old april fool's joke made by PT Expert
Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Was that I joke? I saw it on a video but can't remember where. I thought it was a debug input for testing. Oh well.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
Was an old april fool's joke made by PT Expert
Very funny

Pro Tools 2018.4, Windows 10 Pro x64 (w/ latest update), i9-7980XE, ASUS TUF X299 Mark II, 64 GB Memory, Samsung 850 2TB SSD, UAD Apollo Twin II TB, RME Fireface USB, UAD-2 Octo PCI, Plugins: UAD Waves, Softube, FabFilter, Lexicon, NI Komplete 11 Ult, Celemony, Slate Digital, PSP, Arturia V Collection 6, FXPansion, iZotope, SoundToys, Spectrasonics...
Old 07-10-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Bottom line ... if you want the features that Pro Tools HD provides, you gotta pay what Avid wants. If you find other software cheaper that does essentially the same thing, and can't/won't pay Avid's HD entry fee, use that other software and be happy.
Agreed.

Just sucks that it'll leave you with a piece of hardware you'll have to attempt to sell on eBay to recoup the cost of entry.

For my setup, the HD features aren't really necessary. I use a PCI interface, so Input Monitoring is a thing of the past (for me), I monitor THROUGH Pro Tools. It's just the nifty bells & whistles they touted up to the release. Disk cache, new metering, etc., only available in HD. VCAs would be nice so I didn't have to remember to hold down Control (or whatever it is) to adjust levels within a group without disabling it. The higher I/O is locked to their hardware, so that's moot. I also don't think I'll be doing 5.1 or x.whatever anytime soon either. Would be nice to have the option to have an upgrade path to enable these options without becoming an OMNI/Native card salesman. Honestly, I don't think I would have ever put out the extra $2000 for these features either, but came close when I saw some deals. The difference between full blown Cubase and Nuendo is $1200 which I guess is the closest thing as a peer in the DAW market. Out of them all (and I tried them all), I preferred Digital Performer (which has one version) but found Pro Tools a much better fit for me when v9 came out.

I think there are a lot of people such as the OP (and me who is looking for a deal) that if it were available, it would be a pretty good seller for Avid.

Oh well, I'm gonna go check and see if VCC for PT11 is out yet.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 AM

Let me know when vcc aax is out, I've given up looking !

There is no doubt a market for an upgrade path to, or outright purchase of, PT HD software only. I'm sure Avid must know that. It might even be bigger than Avid itself imagines.

However, Avid has a clear strategy that involves restricting access to HD software to HD hardware owners only (apart from pesky ex CPTK owners).

We can make educated guesses as to why, but I don't think that will lead to a strategic rethink.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
We can make educated guesses as to why, but I don't think that will lead to a strategic rethink.
I'm afraid you'r right.

Of course, Avid has all the right in the world to run their business how they want. I respect that. However, ignoring your user base have never been a good long term strategy, also I believe the opportunity to take share in the market is there, just as the risk of losing it is there too.

We'll see.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 AM

Don't forget though that over the years Avid has come under pressure from heavily invested pro users to maintain this gap. They've long felt that semi pro / small outfits could get a "pro" system together for too low a price, undermining their business strategies.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-11-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
Don't forget though that over the years Avid has come under pressure from heavily invested pro users to maintain this gap. They've long felt that semi pro / small outfits could get a "pro" system together for too low a price, undermining their business strategies.
Well, isn't that just the reality of life? All technologies seems to go through this cycle eventually. In my view, what seperates the wolfs from the sheeps is how a business choose to deal with this.

Right now, my perspective is that Avid is waiting out the natural development in the market. Will they act soon enough?

There used to be good technical and tangible reasons for the close relationship between the software and the hardware, but those requirements are not longer there for the most part. What is left are business reasons based on an in-side out perspective. Eventually, those false barriers will crumble. Will Avid find a way to canabilize their business and re-invent new revenue streams or will someone else do this for them? That is the real question, I think.

Anyway, I'm repeating myself, as this was also the point in my earlier remark in this thread where I referenced the book "The Innovators Dilemma".