Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 05:30 PM

Default Mono vs Stereo. - long one.

When recording a solo instrument, such as a violin, flute, classical guitar (my case), obo etc. and there is no other instrument on the CD.
Is there any such a thing as it sounding better in Mono versus Stereo?
I have two good matched stereo mics, but have the option of buying a better single mic, that's actually double the price of the other two for just one of the new ones.
But I don't want to buy it if recording a solo instrument in stereo is a better way to go.
The stereo matched mics are not bad at all and have worked fine and given professional results so far. If recording a solo instrument in mono means better recording quality I would not mind spending the money on a single good mic.

I've heard some of the classical guitarists I like and although most of them are recording with three mics at once, they still sound like mono.
When I look at the waves on an imported file in LE they are perfectly identical on both L and R.
Still a super high quality recording.

Thanks.

GtrDude.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Mono vs Stereo. - long one.

ive done a lot of recording playing my violin, and i found best results with stereo, but it does depend on the mics. what kind of mics are you using? and what is the mic you are considering buying?

good luck,
evan
Old 12-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Even though the appear identical they most likely are not. Tiny derivations between the L and R channels can bring a single instrument recording to life. When you record your classical in stereo, you would most likely not see any difference between the L and R channels as apposed to if you where recording a piano in the traditional way.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:04 PM

Hi there GtrDude,

Mono vs Stereo ...really depends on the purpose of the piece,the arrangements, style of music. If you're doing a solo instrument, one usually uses multiple mics bussed to a stereo image. When the same instrument is playing alongside others, like in a band situation, oftentimes a single mono mic gives the advantage , because it's easier to balance (tone and level) in the mix.
Why don't you try recording w/one of your mic (of the "stereo pair) to a single track ?
Or pan them both to the center of the mix?

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-13-2003, 05:01 AM

Stereo micing of any instrument will most definitely yield different sounds left and right, due to room reflections, positioning, etc.

Stereo micing of a solo instrument adds depth and pressense to the recording, capturing more of the natural sound we would hear if we were in the room with the player.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:23 AM

I think you should focus more on micing the instrument as Treble bass or Neck Sound hole etc..
I don't see the point in recording it in stereo, is there any possible sonic benifit from it ? give it a go and see!
Old 12-13-2003, 07:17 AM

I gotta dissagree with this strongly. we don't listen that way do we? No, we hear left and right, assuming both our ears work.

Solo instruments sound is critical to the room they are in.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:04 PM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

[image]http://www.pacificjournal.org/misc/stereo_diagram.gif[/image]

Actually this is more like what you are hearing from a stereo source. (I made the diagram to illustrate it.)

Enjoy.[list]