Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Mbox & silverdoor(mirrored)G4s-Stability???

Im interested in how stable your setup is. If its rockin, let me hear from you. If its not I need (Didi needs)to hear from you too! Most importantly I need you to post what OS you are using? Which version of PT are you using? How much ramm is insalled ? Any third party plug-ins(waves,mcdsp,exct) Also include what drives and their rpm.
So far I have complied with any and all setup and insalation guidlines as well as troubleshooting procedures with no avail. My system is totaly unstable. "Pro Tools unexpectedly quits" on start up, in the middle of operation, when creating new tracks, when idle, when quiting.
I have replaced memory, reinitialized the drives all of the posted recomendatins. Not just once multiple times (more than 10) only to recive the same poor performance.
I contacted Digi only to be guided through the same setup and troubleshooting recomendations.(very long hold times more than any I have experienced with any other company) I contacted AOL, Waves, Emagic and Apple. This has been a long process. I purchased the Mbox last spring and I have exhausted all possibilities.
The stability is not the only issue either. There is an unmistakable high pitched noise as soon as any audio application is launched. Pro Tools, Logic exct. I have seen simular post reguarding the noise issue but Iv never seen a solution. Its not the extreemly loud white noise problem although I do get that from time to time on launch also. This is up above 1000k and at approx 8-10db (just a guess) faint but ever so present. This sound alone could drive you crazy!
Im running out of solutions and Im hoping to resolve this soon. I actally teach this app. so Im not an absolute nimrod when it come to the ins and outs of PT and most apps. I have reviewed many, many posts that pertain to my issues and none have rendered me any positive results.
Please limit your posts to those who are using silverdoor(mirrored)G4s as this will narrow the possibility for system differences and their related different results. Thanks

Dual 1.25
OS 10.2.6
2GB Memory
PT 6.1
80GB ATA/100/7200RPM
Waves 4
Logic 6
Reason 2.5

Old 12-03-2003, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Mbox & silverdoor(mirrored)G4s-Stability???

Hi Peel,I am also frustrated with my MDD/G4/Mbox set up! I have religated this to the fact that i am an absolute beginner.I have a 1ghz mdd with 768mb ram OS 10.2.8 PT 6.1 is on my LaCie 160 (7200rpm/2mb)the ONLY othe apps/plug-ins on the entire drive are those which came bunddled with PT(ampli,reason,smpl tnk,live).My first Mbox was defective which once identified was exchanged by the dealer no problem(thank you midi Amsterdam) However this was after an entire weekend of trouble shooting eg; re-fomat drive,set up new account etc..etc the whole shabang recomended on the website and by the support staff(think your frustrated with long waits try calling from amsterdam!) to finally figure out the box itself had a problem.After all this I get my new Mbox home record some tracks and am unable to hear what I recorded. In all fairness I only have headphones. Trying to resolve this cost more time ( including 2 posts/calls for help on this forum which never saw the light of day...HUM???).Since then I have not had a monitoring problem since PT QUITS ALMOST AS SOON AS IT IS LAUNCHED NOW!!! I hope that it is as simple a problem as my MDD mac so i can put PT on my ibook and start to enjoy my Mbox! Please let me know if you find ANY solutions.
Rob
Old 12-03-2003, 03:04 AM

MDD Dual 1.25 gHz G4 Power Mac, 1 gig of RAM, Mbox, OWC 7200 rpm external firewire drive, Filterbank, Altiverb, Vintage Warmer.

Had MAJOR problems--quits at startup and worse, total computer freezes at startup. (I even had the damn thing totally freeze during a reinstall before I could enter the authorization code!) This is with 10.2.8 and PT LE 6.1.2, and 6.1.1.

Downgrading to 6.1 helped but only for a short while. I created a new user and (after uninstalling Pro Tools) reinstalled the app. using the new user. This seems to have helped. I also zapped the PRAM. This seems to have helped. I just installed Panther (10.3.1) and PT LE 6.2.2. This seems to have helped.

Hope you get your problems solved. I feel your pain.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:24 AM

Mine works like a charm (% G4). Waves 4.0, Plugsound, sampletank and the new softwarebundle from digidesign.
Works fine with logic too.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:13 AM

Hey cool to hear G5s are a rockin...not so cool for drrob in Amster! I too seem to experience better performance after creating a new user account only to se this stability slowly start to dwendal after a couple days of use with absoulutely no changes to the computer! In fact I was afraid to sneeze for fear of a crash! Mind you I still experienced crashes about one every hour and a half. But I could deal with this ratio. These are very light sessions...12 sterio tracks! No automatio!
Ill give you a couple days and Id expect you will have the same results! (I dont wish it on you though) Keep em coming guys! Thanks
Old 12-03-2003, 08:36 PM

Silverdoor G4s...Anyone..?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:34 AM

Bump didi Bump!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:27 PM

I have had all kinds of issues with mine, the first was the random pops. I got the new drivers and firmwhere but I still get the pops. It did fix the freezing on start up. I have a huge latency when I go to start recording, like 4-6 seconds. It's also prone to locking up. I have a dual 867 with PTLE 5.2, I have bomb factory, bias and mcdsp plugins, and 1gig of ram. I have my m-box set as the default sound card as well.

Reed
Old 12-04-2003, 06:56 PM

Are you actualy able to get any work accomplished? (not ment to be sarcastic)This just is not stable enough.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:02 AM

Anyone eles?