Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-06-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Grid Lines - Slip Mode vs. Grid Mode

Hello

First off, this is not an issue only in PT 6.4. It has been with Protools for years but its really getting to me on this particular project so I thought I would mention it. I wish there was an option to leave the blue Grid Mode lines drawn in the edit window while in Slip Mode as well (only the color would turn to gray as is normally does), because alot of times I move things around manually but I like to see the grid for reference. Depending on zoom level, the grid drawn in Slip Mode changes-- sometime it follows the 8th note, sometimes only the quarter or bar.

Anyway, the BIG issue that is really hurting me on this Blues project, is what happens to the grid when using a triplet or dotted 8th grid. Alot of these tracks use a triplet feel so I use a triplet grid. However, the 'gray' grid drawn in Slip mode still refers to a straight quarter/eigth note groove and makes it very hard to move notes around freely while trying to reference some sort of related grid. I wish the gray Slip-Mode grid would reflect the fact that I am in a triplet or dotted 8th feel.

Anyone else know what Im talking about

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust Cancellation!•
Old 07-06-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Grid Lines - Slip Mode vs. Grid Mode

Exactly. Really one should be able to choose Grid or Slip mode and independently choose or not choose "snap to grid". In PT we get grid and snap to grid inseparably which is a mess
in exactly the cases you describe and has been driving me nuts also for years.
also the algorithm for how the grid varies in slip mode could be much better.
For me the best case would be to have the grid on all the time and just be able to switch on and off the snap to grid feature-it would be simpler and require fewer keystrokes in the long run for all users.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
For me the best case would be to have the grid on all the time and just be able to switch on and off the snap to grid feature-it would be simpler and require fewer keystrokes in the long run for all users.
Hmm, never thought if it like that. Good idea. A keystoke for snap to grid on/off, but the grid lines are always there. Maybe even a preference to show and hide grid lines. Im glad Im not the only one who deals with this issue.

MT
Old 07-06-2004, 07:38 PM

You can turn the grid display on and off by Command clicking on the time line header in the edit window (when in Grid mode).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM

Right. But I was thinking of having the grid always showing whether in Grid or any other mode, and then a command to turn it on and off globally. And then the actual Grid Mode would just be what one would use to work with cursor and regions snapping to the grid lines. I use the visual cues of the grid alot (like for eyeing up musical pre and post rolls) but dont actually want to be in that mode and its restrictions.

MT
Old 07-06-2004, 11:25 PM

YES!!! Been winding me up for years!
The grid settings should show permanently whatever mode you are in.
If this bugs you when using PT in Slip ala virtual Tape Machine you can always turn the grid settings to off.
The grid should also be visible through audio parts. If you've recorded a band to a click tape machine style you often don't have any empty tracks to show the grid on. Having to create blank tracks either side of audio that you are editing just to be able to see grid values is just plain stupid.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:07 AM

Not much to add except that this is also something that I've wanted for a long time and a bunch of my friends using PT would like as well. It shouldn't be too hard to implement in the software... in Slip mode, the grid lines should stay put at the resolution of Grid mode so that you could slip audio with a visual reference to the grid that *you* set up, not dependent on how zoomed-in or -out it is (like Logic). I can't imagine that anyone likes what's available now better than what we're suggesting. If there is a feature wish-list, this is a nice quick and easy one.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:17 AM

In Snap to Grid (grid) mode, you can momentarily put the snaptogrid functionality on hold by command-clicking on the region.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:46 PM

Yes but the command key thing doesnt work with every tool and it is unnecessarily complex-
the solution offerd here is much more elagant: the default is grid lines show in every mode
always and have a separate command for "snapping" things to the grid.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:26 AM

So, has anyone done any experimenting in PT 7 with this? When you work in a Triplet or •8th note grid, does switching to slip mope make the grid go back to the default 4/4 120 gray grid lines, or does it match your ACTUAL grid setup? Alot of us like to move freely in slip mode, but with the visual cues of where the grid lines actually are...

THX

MT