Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 AM

Default Was the ICON a good purchase?

A question to ICON owners. Was buying the ICON a good business move? I know they're more fun to work on, and they increase workflow a ton, but was it a worthwhile business purchase? ie. Does it make you money? And not just make you money like all your gear does, but does having an ICON attract more business that you would've had, had you not gotten the ICON? So if you spent $80,000 on your ICON, how much extra cash did that bring in a month, compared to before you had the ICON? How long until it pays for itself?

All of this stems from trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to buy/lease a 24 fader D-Command. I've tried a couple out, I love them, I know it would make everything a bit faster and a lot more fun. But would it be a losing proposition in the end?

I know a lot of people don't like to financially analyze their toys, but in these trying times every piece of gear has to pull it's own weight or it's just not worth it.

Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Was the ICON a good purchase?

I think if you applied a stringent analysis to most modern gear/software purchases, they'd fail this test. Does an LA2 get you clients? Does an ELA M250? Maybe, I have no idea. An ICON does at least have a presence in the room and will be used on EVERY session, can't say the same for a lot of gear. Do you need it? Of course not. Will it impress people and make them take you more seriously and book time with you? Maybe, who knows.

For me, I'm a one man shop and the ICON was a luxury purchase, but I can't go back now. No way.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:45 AM

I think I agree with Drew. Not a "sound business purchase", ie I haven't earned one thin dime more having it, but I am one happy camper when I'm working on it.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 AM

I have to disagree slightly and respectfully...
I think there is some merit to the Icon purchase if you look at the context of the market. Here in Phoenix, we are the only studio in the city that has the ICON so it has indeed brought in clients that were curious to mix on it. (Although there are a few now in Chandler, Gilbert, and of course in Tempe at the Conservatory for Recording Arts) In addition, it does have a "look" to it that says "this is a modern studio with lots of new toys..."

Now, I would agree that spending $80,000 to make that statement isn't a great business move unless the studio is earning enough to make that back... We spent in the ball park of around $500,000 on gear, acoustic setup, and decor and struggled with the idea of Icon or no Icon. In the end we made the move and I would say it has closed to the deal on a few album clients that went to visit several studios in the area.

I could understand though in Los Angeles where there are 1000's of studios the reasonings might be different.

I agree with you Drew, I would totally label it as a luxury item no different than having a Jacuzzi or giant flat screens or any other eye candy in your studio.

Nice topic guys...
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Yeah, it doesn't take much for the balance to be tipped. If an ICON got you 2 records that maybe you wouldn't have gotten, then it can almost pay for itself right there.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:17 PM

What is up with your sarcasm?
The fact that we make $15,000 on an album is a significant chunk when you consider that we have had the ICON for only about 8 months.

But, whatever, you are the Pro Tools and Recording God, Drew... I forget that I am in the presence of the master.

So its ok for you, Drew, the God of all recording to buy and ICON as a luxury item, but if someone else does it and says it has as a by product brought in business well then thats just stupid...

ok...

I am done with this site for good. I wish you all luck in your careers...

Drew, you must be a lonely sad man...I pity you.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
What is up with your sarcasm?
The fact that we make $15,000 on an album is a significant chunk when you consider that we have had the ICON for only about 8 months.

But, whatever, you are the Pro Tools and Recording God, Drew... I forget that I am in the presence of the master.

So its ok for you, Drew, the God of all recording to buy and ICON as a luxury item, but if someone else does it and says it has as a by product brought in business well then thats just stupid...

ok...

I am done with this site for good. I wish you all luck in your careers...

Drew, you must be a lonely sad man...I pity you.
ummm, what just happened?

I'm agreeing with you. I was pointing out that in just 2 records, you've almost recouped your investment in an ICON. Not sure how you got sarcasm out of my post.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM

With the current state of the recording industry, an SSL vs. Neve vs. Icon might not be the determining factor as to the success or failure of your business. I personally know of a number of studios up for sale, all of which have top level equipment. If you honestly feel that these are "trying times", I'd be hard-pressed to attempt to convince you that an Icon (or any $80,000+ control surface/console) is a sound business decision.

That said, my Icon has paid for itself. But I do not own a commercial facility - I am my own client, and, frankly, any control surface/console would have done the same. The Icon (in my case, a D-Control) was simply the best choice for my workflow and was immeasurably superior to the other offerings available.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
A question to ICON owners. Was buying the ICON a good business move? I know they're more fun to work on, and they increase workflow a ton, but was it a worthwhile business purchase? ie. Does it make you money? And not just make you money like all your gear does, but does having an ICON attract more business that you would've had, had you not gotten the ICON? So if you spent $80,000 on your ICON, how much extra cash did that bring in a month, compared to before you had the ICON? How long until it pays for itself?

All of this stems from trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to buy/lease a 24 fader D-Command. I've tried a couple out, I love them, I know it would make everything a bit faster and a lot more fun. But would it be a losing proposition in the end?

I know a lot of people don't like to financially analyze their toys, but in these trying times every piece of gear has to pull it's own weight or it's just not worth it.

Thoughts?
I seriously doubt spending $80k on an Icon will bring you anymore business than getting a new C24. Let alon a D-Command.

Especially in New Brunswick, Canada.

IMDB Credits