Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 AM

Default Increasing usb output volume?

I'm using cakewalk or reaper for recording using the USB outputs. Is there a way to increase the output volume of the usb output? It ends up tracking way too low in cakewalk or reaper.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Increasing usb output volume?

You mean for the rig to reaper? When you hold the edit menu on the 11r for 2 sec. there are several option available; one of them is rig balancing; you can adjust the overall volume for every preset in that menu.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 AM

it's already set to 0.0 there. You can't go any higher. Surely there's a way to increase the overall output through the USB IO channel?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
it's already set to 0.0 there. You can't go any higher. Surely there's a way to increase the overall output through the USB IO channel?
If the output from the 11r is low going into Sonar you need to up the level in Sonar. There's a level control in each audio track of Sonar (just one of my daws) that can be set. Then again I've always ever used the analog audio from my Edirol UA1000 sound I/O to get audio into Sonar. I just make sure I have as hot a level as I can without overloading going into the inputs of the Edirol. Which means a preamp inline with my guitar if I have low output pickups on the guitar which for me is unlikely.

What's the output of your guitar like? On the low side? Try getting a hotter level there (which I think is really your problem - low source into the 11R). Maybe you have a low level set somewheres in the 11R patch(es) you're using. If your axe has active pickups put in a new battery.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If the output from the 11r is low going into Sonar you need to up the level in Sonar. There's a level control in each audio track of Sonar (just one of my daws) that can be set. Then again I've always ever used the analog audio from my Edirol UA1000 sound I/O to get audio into Sonar. I just make sure I have as hot a level as I can without overloading going into the inputs of the Edirol. Which means a preamp inline with my guitar if I have low output pickups on the guitar which for me is unlikely.

What's the output of your guitar like? On the low side? Try getting a hotter level there (which I think is really your problem - low source into the 11R). Maybe you have a low level set somewheres in the 11R patch(es) you're using. If your axe has active pickups put in a new battery.
Upping the level on the track does not effect the input gain. It's an output trim adjustment. Guitar has standard humbuckers (Gibson 339). I don't want to use a separate analog input. I want to be able to use the standard output from the rig.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Really - how low IS the signal from the 11r? Can't it match the other tracks you have in Sonar? Try lowering the other tracks and see if you can't get it to work. And are you absolutely sure you don't have a mistake in your gain staging in the 11r and dropping the level someplace? If not, you may well have a defective 11r. Nobody else seems to have a problem with this. You might well just have to go with a separate analog output from the 11r to your daw's sound I/O. Nothing worng with that.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Really - how low IS the signal from the 11r? Can't it match the other tracks you have in Sonar? Try lowering the other tracks and see if you can't get it to work. And are you absolutely sure you don't have a mistake in your gain staging in the 11r and dropping the level someplace? If not, you may well have a defective 11r. Nobody else seems to have a problem with this. You might well just have to go with a separate analog output from the 11r to your daw's sound I/O. Nothing worng with that.
output is about -24db typically. Is anyone else here using the asio driver in another DAW?

I'm not absolutely sure I don't have a problem dropping the gain somewhere else but the gain is very good coming out of the analog outputs. It's just tapping off the asio driver where it seems to be low.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
output is about -24db typically. Is anyone else here using the asio driver in another DAW?

I'm not absolutely sure I don't have a problem dropping the gain somewhere else but the gain is very good coming out of the analog outputs. It's just tapping off the asio driver where it seems to be low.
Something just hit me - did you profile the 11R in Sonar? You know, like you have to do for a regular sound I/O interface?

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Something just hit me - did you profile the 11R in Sonar? You know, like you have to do for a regular sound I/O interface?
no but I should mention that i primarily use reaper. The only reason I dug out sonar 8.5 was to confirm that the problem isn't specific to reaper.

I could try removing and adding the driver to reaper and see if it makes a diff but I don't see a param for input level. Most other drivers give you a control panel to set the levels.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM

also checked control panel and verified that output is set to 100% for the eleven rack driver. Does pro tools have a proprietary interface to the eleven to get more gain out of it?