Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Unhappy Cpu Overload PT9 Kontakt 4

Hi.
First of all english is not my native language so if these questions has already been answered then please excuse me! I have tried to search for an answer that fixes my problems.

1. I am using an 8-core 2.26ghz 8 gb ram mac pro with a separate Western Digital 320gb and Lacie Rugged 320gb where both has fw800 connection for my Kontakt 4 libraries and recordings.

2. I am using Pro Tools 9.0.3 (Latest version) with 11R and sometimes Maudio Pro-fire 2626 (and sometimes both of them together).

1 question:
Is it impossible for me to use multi out (Kontakt4) Steven Slate Drums, one electric guitar, one bass, (Kontakt 4)Berlin Concert Grand Piano and Vocals at the same time with buffer set to 32 or 64?
If not, how do I adjust the playback engine for the optimal settings?

I have reinstalled Pro Tools and all my plugins selveral times without any luck.
I believe that I have tried almost every setting available!!
16 processors 85% rtas
4 processors 99% rtas etc etc etc.....

2 question:
Kontakt 4 starts clipping making my cpu overload with 3 instruments. How do I optimize Kontakt 4 to maybe be able to use at least 6 at the same time?

3 question:
Should I just throw my beloved Pro Tools license in the bin and then go for another DAW?......

Remi
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

(still waiting for something better than 9.0.5 Beta)
Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Cpu Overload PT9 Kontakt 4

Try 3 or 5 processors
Never use all or even numbers
Also check that K4 is using the memory server option

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
studio.tech@yahoo.comm
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Thx but do you think this will fix my problems? I just can't understand why an mac pro 8 core 8gb ram just can't handle it. But I will give i a try.

Remi
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 07-06-2011, 01:44 AM

let us know if that helps. I am having similar issues and will try tomorrow.

same setup as you by the way...

I produce things @ www.krazypopstudio.com

Endorsements and affiliations: MikTek Microphones, AVID, Klotz Cables, CAD Headphones, ToonTrack, Parker Guitars, Taylor Guitars, Steven Slate, Seymour Duncan Pickups, D'Addario, Bugera; Dangerous Music, Digidesign, Focusrite, IK Multimedia, Altiverb, Focal Monitors, and SurgeX.

Pro Tools 12.4 HD, MBP Quad-core 2.5Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, UAD-2.
Interfaces: UA Apollo 8
Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 AM

I will try it out later, just need to get some hours sleep. I'll be back soon!
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 AM

If you're using the 2626 I'd say no, it's not possible. The Profire has been very buggy here and causes cpu overload errors while recording one track with one reverb plug in at 32 samples. At 64 and higher things seem to be a little better though. I too am using a 8 core Mac Pro and the cpu usage meter never goes above 25%.

The first thing that would help is to get a separate firewire card for your interfaces and run your hard drives off of the built in port. The second thing you can do to increase performance is to disable any software returns that you're not using in the 2626 mixer window. Also make sure you have the "ignore errors" box unchecked in the playback engine window. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 AM

I think Kontakt 4 is probably the problem in itself.

I don't know what other peoples experiences have been, but N/I's stuff just doesn't work with Pro Tools for me. I believe it all worked in PT7, but since then it's been unusable - changing a volume in Kontakt causes an error.

I'd just consider another sampler - probably Structure, since that'll at least run.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM

I use Kontact free with PT 9.0.3 and have the 70's Abbey Road 70 drums. It works but really does not play nice with too much else going on like other virtual synths and lots of tracks. I always print the drums when I'm happy and move on but it does work. I also have other Native instrument VIs and they work Absyth etc. PT 9 more than ever needs you to have all the Avid recommended settings setup on your mac or you will have issues and errors. No bluetooth, not wifi, no spaces, no screensaver!!, no sleep settings, etc.... Boot fresh and only use PT when you are using the Native stuff not running apps like mail , safari etc in the background and you should be ok. Blue tooth supposedly messes with Virtual Instruments.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Hi Remi

Reading your post it sounds like you are streaming samples off external firewire drives? If so this is NOT a good idea. Access time on Firewire drives is not up to scratch for streaming samples so there's a big performance bottleneck there.

You'd get much better results with an internal Western Digital 10K Raptor drive of better still, SSD. Even an internal WD Caviar Black drive would be a big improvement over Firewire.

Also, a buffer of 32 or 64 is VERY low for good VI performance.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Hi Remi

Also, a buffer of 32 or 64 is VERY low for good VI performance.
That's the truth. Maybe 256 is a good start.

Carl
PT 2019.12 HDX OMNI+HDX8x16 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.12.5 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL-GML -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.