Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Cpu Overload PT9 Kontakt 4

Hi!

I've tried both 3 and 5 +7, 9, 11 and so on. There was'nt a major change, but as most you are saying I guess that NI are causing error for a lot of people not just me.

It's just so sad because I really enjoy their products. I found threads where both the users and "digitechsupport" wrote that the best option is to try VE Pro.
BUT I can't keep buying new stuff all the time just to "improve" my setup which in my opinion should be great enough as it is.

I've seen a lot of updates since PT7 but everything has just been minor improvements (my opinion) until PT9 where everything just literally became f***** up.
I love that you can use PT9 on your macbook pro just for mixing and I really love that you can use almost every sound card/interface you want but we need updates on updates on updates to be able to do so. Can't they just FIX it!??

If i had the money to buy SSD drives I really would but the fact that the price will drop like 75% in about 1 to 2 years I have to stick to my setup, but if an internal drive like the one my mac pro shipped with will be a better setup than my firewire discs, I'm going to try one of those.

Thanks guys
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

(still waiting for something better than 9.0.5 Beta)
Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 AM

PT 9 more than ever needs you to have all the Avid recommended settings setup on your mac or you will have issues and errors. No bluetooth, not wifi, no spaces, no screensaver!!, no sleep settings, etc....

I have done everything AVID recommend.. fixed disc permissions, checked for errors, no bluetooth, no wifi, no spaces, no screensaver, no sleep settings and so on. I have done exactly as AVID describes. there isn't any problem with my setup at all. Everything from sound cards to macs has been checked by professionals just to be completely sure. :)
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 AM

de_flon:

Sounds like you're just as frustrated as me; I have the same Mac Pro, but with only 6 GB, which I'm not even close to using regarding samples. I have a session with the CPU in PT 9.0.5 at about 30-40% with 1(!) instance of Kontakt 4.2.2. with 6 instruments going. As an experiment, I threw the midi tracks into Logic Pro 9.1.1, and it runs smoothly with one Kontakt plug for each instrument instead of all running off one single instance, and it didn't even hit 5 % CPU. If I only use straight RTAS effect-plugs in PT9, I can run 160 of the most CPU-consuming reverb plugs across 32 audio tracks without PT breaking a sweat. (sounds horrible, by the way.... (O;

My local Avid-person says I should update Kontakt to 4.2.3 (which is also the only version mentioned in the Avid compatibility grid, that should work with PT 9), but I'm really not sure that's it. I even tried putting all other plugs in the unused folder, but it made no difference.

Did you come across any solution? What version of Kontakt are you using?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM

Hi

Right now I'm using the newest version due to upgrade to komplete 8. I was using the exact version that you use when I wrote this post. I never found a solution for the problem. Every time I upgrade my pro tools software more bugs or problems appear. Pro tools is dead for me at these times. Completely useless. I am using reaper ATM with no problems at all. I really hope that avid fix all these issues or else I think I'm changing daw permanently. I can't keep paying and paying for stuff that won't work or probably never will.

Fingers crossed for Avid.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Damn; I was afraid of that.... )O:

Ok, good luck to us then.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM

In the middle of a session and it came to a complete halt due to Kontakt 5.

I'm running Protools 9.0.5 and Kontakt 5.3 on an iMac quad core with 8 gigs of RAM. I'm using "Session Horns" (nice package btw) and have had them stored on my internal drive, and then my external drive - used Kontakt's server memory on/off (no difference. My CPU is set to 85%/7 cores with a variety of H/W buffer sizes tried. Nothing works! The sounds distort or become intermittent or the Core Audio just friggen crashes.

I've consolidated my session to a single stereo audio mix - no plugins running EXCEPT Kontakt. Ridiculous!

This is by no means a one time occurrence. The Kontakt/Protools combo is always problematic and every time I open Kontakt I ask myself, "Are you sure you wanna go there?" I write this now because this time, I'm just plain fed up and P/O'd. The number of hours I've wasted with this combo leaves me wondering why the hell I even bother.

Other than that . . . I'm cool. Hope everyone else is doing good too! :)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM

Doesn't matter how many optimizations you do, or what version of Kontakt and PT you have. RTAS Kontakt (and some other VI's) simply does not perform too well in the current PT engine, particularly depending on your workflow, patches used, and a lower sample buffer. This issue is ancient and another reason why VI Hosts, like Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, are used for composing with VI's in PT.

You can also try this.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 AM

Also try turning OFF multiprocessor support in the Kontakt plugin itself.