Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2023, 03:00 PM

Default Fixed: MBOX 2 Pro Drivers not working?

Hello there!

i recently decided to go back in time to open my old projects i made on protools LE with my mbox 2 pro. (saved every single one of them)

After buying a Mac tower A1186 with dual Xeon processors running on Mac OSX Lion (on ebay), i thought it would be a huge upgrade from my imac (2006) which i had my set up running back in the day (Mac OSX Lion).

so installed protools, had issues with missing pace drivers, i solved that, but now my Mbox 2 is not recognized by my mac.

Went to avid for the update but for some reason, the latest update links for mac is not working. it says "not found". i tried in different browser with no luck.
Only v9 downloads which is the one that protools CD installer installs.

That being said....

1)can anyone share Mac OSX Mbox 2 pro last driver download?

2)if theres no way to get my Mbox working with LE again, can i buy a 002 rack or 003 rack and make it work with my protools LE? (002 & 003 updates are still working on avids site)

i just want to see my old work for nostalgia purposes and maybe get back to making musical goodies.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:22 PM

Default Re: MBOX 2 Pro Drivers not working?

Hi, welcome to DUC.

Avid unfortunately seems to have repeat issues with SSL certificate management that affects different legacy driver downloads. I don't have a driver that I can send you but I've let folks at Avid know this download is broken so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

As a precaution it is a good idea to save/backup all driver and app installers you need.

---

It's a longer discussion but if you had asked earlier I'd have suggested you just get on a modern Mac, there are an incredible range of modern USB and Thunderbolt interfaces available starting at ~$100 and maybe even free Pro Tools intro might do all you need as a DAW, or be a good starting point to get up to speed with and then upgrade. Your old session and plugins are likely compatible with modern Pro Tools... but yes may require a little checking. And a current well configured apple silicon Mac Mini will have has more usable compute power than this Mac Cheesegrater, and have stunning fast SSD etc. which can all make it a great Pro Tools box.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi, welcome to DUC.

Avid unfortunately seems to have repeat issues with SSL certificate management that affects different legacy driver downloads. I don't have a driver that I can send you but I've let folks at Avid know this download is broken so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Thank you! ill just wait on the link fix then. but would the 002/3 rack work still by any chance?
Old 11-06-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBAK View Post
Thank you! ill just wait on the link fix then. but would the 002/3 rack work still by any chance?
I added some more above, but yes a 002 or 003 should work to activate an old Pro Tools Digidesign interface based license. But I suspect you are going in the wrong direction, as I said I'd have moved to a modern Mac running a current version of Pro Tools. Things are easier to deal with and you get a lot more capability in the Mac and in Pro Tools. Any chance you can return the Mac Pro and buy a current mac Mini or similar?

If you keep the Mac Pro don't forget to optimize it, follow the correct instructions for your version of Pro Tools/OS X. Start at "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page, or the old installation etc. doc for that version of Pro Tools.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I added some more above, but yes a 002 or 003 should work to activate an old Pro Tools Digidesign interface based license. But I suspect you are going in the wrong direction, as I said I'd have moved to a modern Mac running a current version of Pro Tools. Things are easier to deal with and you get a lot more capability in the Mac and in Pro Tools. Any chance you can return the Mac Pro and buy a current mac Mini or similar?

If you keep the Mac Pro don't forget to optimize it, follow the correct instructions for your version of Pro Tools/OS X. Start at "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page, or the old installation etc. doc for that version of Pro Tools.
--Nah, i even bought a 20" cinema display lol. this set up will be strictly offline and just for music recordings with protools. nothing else.

-ill definitely optimize it. but i remember protools being solid for what i did. never any issues of crashes and things like that. so id say if i can get it running again, its the best for me at this point. i dont like subscriptions. feel like youre renting the software with never ending charges. idk lol
Old 11-06-2023, 03:55 PM

I hear you, and Pro Tool licensing is is still available as a perpetual license (many of us would not settle for a pure subscription). And Avid recently improved things there. The annual update/support plan part of a perpetual license does in part make things feel like a subscription. But then I'm happy to pay Avid for ongoing updates and support.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I hear you, and Pro Tool licensing is is still available as a perpetual license (many of us would not settle for a pure subscription). And Avid recently improved things there. The annual update/support plan part of a perpetual license does in part make things feel like a subscription. But then I'm happy to pay Avid for ongoing updates and support.
ill look into it once i get everything started and my musical juices are flowing again. hopefully they fix those links fast :/
Old 11-07-2023, 08:14 AM

Avid have fixed the links on this page:

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...Mbox-2-Drivers

If using a modern web browser you will likely get a http download security warning error, that's unfortunately expected and you'll have to tell the browser to ignore that/download anyhow.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Avid have fixed the links on this page:

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...Mbox-2-Drivers

If using a modern web browser you will likely get a http download security warning error, that's unfortunately expected and you'll have to tell the browser to ignore that/download anyhow.
Thanks Darryl!! it didnt want to work with chrome but in Opera it downloaded with no problems or security warning.

Time to go back in time

-LMB
Old 11-08-2023, 06:26 AM

PS- i also saved all installers (pace drivers and now mbox 2 drivers aswell)