Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Dealing with Phasing in my mix

I am in the process of mixing several songs.

All parts have been recorded (gtr., bass, vox & drums: kick, snare, hihat, overhead toms, floor toms and 2 overheads; one overehead on 2 tracks with a condenser).

I am going to start from the ground up with the drums. I have done some extensive submixing with the kit using EQ and channel strip plugins to get an overall good sound out of the kit. So far so good.

My concerns at this point are regarding phasing and finding what's in and out of phase in the mix. It sound like, from what I have been reading, that phasing is an issue that is almost always constant with at least one of the mic or instrument in a mix. Either between an overhead mic or a kick and snare mic. If something is out of phase would it be glaring and obvious or do I need to solo a track, put an eq on it and sample the phasing buttons on and off to hear the difference? My understanding of phasing is young and sort of clear at this point.

I am looking for some further direction regarding phasing so my drummer and I can feel our mix is as good as it can be. Thanks in advance for your feedback.