Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Default Avid Core Audio HD Driver Breaks Maschine in Yosemite

Here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ools-Mavericks is the solution.

The real culprit is - /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Avid CoreAudio.plugin

Machine was working on my two non HDX macs with no external hardware but not on my HDX system. Followed the instructions above and all is well.

BTW - PTHD11 SCREAMS on Yosemite.

Hope this helps some of you.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Solution if Maschine etc. is not woking with Yosemite.

I just got this in an email from NI:

Native Instruments has conducted compatibility tests with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite which have shown current NI products to work without any specific issues under standard installations of this operating system.

However, products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager/Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Native Instruments is currently conducting further systematic compatibility and performance tests with the release version of Yosemite, and will provide new information as it becomes available.

Best regards,

The Native Instruments team

So NI knows about this as well.

QAPLA!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I just got this in an email from NI:

Native Instruments has conducted compatibility tests with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite which have shown current NI products to work without any specific issues under standard installations of this operating system.

However, products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager/Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Native Instruments is currently conducting further systematic compatibility and performance tests with the release version of Yosemite, and will provide new information as it becomes available.

Best regards,

The Native Instruments team

So NI knows about this as well.
Yes. Just thought I'd offer the solution while NI and Avid try to figure it out. LOL!
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Yes. Just thought I'd offer the solution while NI and Avid try to figure it out. LOL!
Yeah - if we wait for that we'll be seeing PT12 first.

QAPLA!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Yeah - if we wait for that we'll be seeing PT12 first.
So true! HA!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:32 PM

Apple broke it, Apple should fix it. Not Avid's fault. Let's ease off the Avid bashing for a second shall we, and instead concentrate on a toy phone manufacturer who it seems is actively seeking to destroy Avid.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 AM

I have PT 10 with Yosemite, but mainly use 11. I have 10 for a reason, however it's not often I use it so I just took the file mentioned above and put it in a holding folder. Reboot and Maschine2 works now (with 11). If I need 10 back (to save a project 7-9 compatible like I did recently) I'll just plonk the file back into the HAL folder. If you only have 10 then my solution is not for you. Adding: PT 10 working with Yosemite but I get that graphic problem of plugins not showing until you hover over them.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Kind of late to the dance here, but this is my experience:

Removing the Avid CoreAudio driver (and completely uninstalling 10.3.9) did NOT do the trick. And I had to reinstall the driver anyway in order to use my OMNI again.

To add insult to injury, I can't even reinstall 10.3.9 on Yosemite, because the installer tells me that I need — get this — at least OS 10.7! Actually, that's not that big a deal to me; I seem to work exclusively in 11.3 these days with no issues, and if I need 10.3.9, it's still installed on my MBP, which has very few other apps installed.

But back to the NI issue: Guitar Rig 5 won't even open as a stand-alone, let alone within a DAW. The AU version crashed Logic consistently and completely, and Studio One can't open the VST version. Haven't tried using Magma or VEPro as a host, but I assume that wouldn't work either, because there's clearly something in Yosemite that's making Guitar Rig (and also Komplete Kontrol, which I don't use anyway) gack on launch.

All my web research points me to the page on the NI site that has been quoted on the DUC at length:

"Native Instruments has conducted compatibility tests with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite which have shown current NI products to work without any specific issues under standard installations of this operating system.

Best regards,

The Native Instruments team"

I certainly never had these issues in Mountain Lion, and I guess that unless someone has a brilliant solution, I can only wait until NI and Avid come up with something.

And I ain't holding my breath for that…
Finale 26.3.1
Old 01-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Update: As I figured, attempting to load Guitar Rig 5 within a host like Magma or VEPro was unsuccessful in both PT and Studio One.

And as a re-test, I took the Avid CoreAudio driver out of the HAL folder, restarted, and tried to launch Guitar Rig 5 (and also 4) as a standalone app, and it simply would not do it. After about 10 seconds, the Beach Ball of Death would appear and that was the beginning of the end.

[BTW, I apologize if I'm rehashing things that have already been hashed over and over; it's just that I didn't upgrade — if that is the term — to Yosemite until this past Tuesday.]

So for now, it's Amplitube and Waves GTR.

I've been using NI since at least Komplete 5 and have had very few issues, so it's my hope that some time relatively soon, NI will learn to play nice with Yosemite.
Finale 26.3.1

Last edited by gtomassetti; 01-02-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: AmpliTUBE, not AmpliTUDE…
Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 PM

This is on N.I support page .......................,

My NI Application Does Not Launch Under Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite

Disclaimer: This article describes the manual uninstallation of a third-party manufacturer component. Native Instruments cannot be held responsible for any damages to your system caused by following these instructions.

Products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager / Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. In stand-alone mode the application will freeze after launching, in plug-in mode the plug-in validation of the host program will fail, which might crash or freeze the host program or make the plug-in unavailable within the host program.

Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Follow these step-by-step instructions to temporarily remove the Avid CoreAudio driver in order to allow NI products to run properly under Mac OS 10.10:

Open the Finder and locate the following folder: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.
Delete the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" from the HAL Plug-in folder.
Type in the admin password when prompted.
Restart your computer.
While you still can fully use Pro Tools without the Avid CoreAudio driver, it is not possible to monitor the audio output of any third-party application using your Avid audio interface. If you require this functionality again, you need to move the file back to its original location and restart your computer. In this case, the mentioned NI applications will stop working again.