Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2017, 05:06 AM

Default What is up with all these DROPPED CONNECTIONS?

Yesterday was a nightmare!

I had a simple project (under 10 tracks only 65 bars long) to do a rough mix for client approval. After months of research, tweaking and re-assessing what this system could do, I was finally ready to put it through it's paces.

Every time I went for a control on any of my Artist pieces, something was wrong! I experienced a constant stream of partial or total breakdowns. The transport worked until I tried the "Go to Position" button. Re-start Eucon. After a few months of actually being able to use my fingers on the touch screen of the MC, I had to go back to using a stylus to get page changes. Every time, I had a problem with MC or Transport, I'd look over to find the Mix TOTALLY OFFLINE!

In every case, re-starting Eucon would correct the problem. But I don't understand why there was a problem to correct! It's insidious! You don't even know there's a problem because 80 to 90% of it is working until you go to a particular control. THEN you find out something is wrong and you have to wonder how long something has been wrong and whether it's corrupted your project. Can I save? Should I save? I should save after the restart, right? WTH?

I lost 90 minutes tracking down this BS and re-starting over and over! And what's with all of these "near survey" like questions DURING a process. Eucon breaks down. Re-start Eucon. "Do you want to save the changes you made to the soft keys?" What changes? I just touched you and you weren't working!

In the end, I finished the project WITH THE ENTIRE SYSTEM TURNED OFF, to stop with the distractions! Grade for Artist Series Gear? An emphatic "F!!!"

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

My Rigg:
Nuendo 4 - 7.1.3 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport on Eucon 3.6 | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |
Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Avid

Default Re: What is up with all these DROPPED CONNECTIONS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
"Do you want to save the changes you made to the soft keys?"
This is a bug in the beta you are running and is already fixed. I'll send you a link to the new download by the end of the week.

As for your other issues can you please list them clearly and describe what you were doing before hand etc. You have an unusual amount of problems so I'm wondering if its something to do with your setup/network ?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
This is a bug in the beta you are running and is already fixed. I'll send you a link to the new download by the end of the week.

As for your other issues can you please list them clearly and describe what you were doing before hand etc. You have an unusual amount of problems so I'm wondering if its something to do with your setup/network ?
1) Turned Nuendo 7.1.3 on.
2) Turned on MC & Mix together. Then, Transport, as there is no option to turn them all on at once.
3) Started working on the tracks. Banking & Scrolling up and down the Mixer worked as expected. Transport functions work as expected.
4) Went to Transport to load a position. Pressed the "go to position" button. Nothing happened.

To maximize screen space, I eliminated screens that were duplicating information already showing on the hardware. So I took the transport window off of the Nuendo project page. So when I select "go to position" on the Transport, a small counter window is supposed to show up on the Nuendo screen and let me punch in the desired locate point. No window showed up.

5) Then I noticed that the Mix had dropped its connection, only showing the Avid logo on every channel.
6) Hit Restart Eucon. Everything rebooted, except the Mix. Turned the Mix off and then turned it back on. Everything was back online.
7) Tried to switch from tracks to Soft Keys on MC. Touch Screen wouldn't engage. I had to use a stylus to switch over.
8) Worked a little while and went to the Transport again for a "go to position" task. Out again.

Repeat process from one device or the other over the course of 90 minutes and I got fed up and finished the project with the track ball and X-keys.

Of course, once I was finished and went back to trouble shoot issues, everything worked perfectly!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Avid

Thanks I'll get the guys to try and repro here. Did this happen once or multiple times (go to position) ?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Thanks I'll get the guys to try and repro here. Did this happen once or multiple times (go to position) ?
Several times.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Same issues here. Continuous dropping of connections. Losing alot of time resetting everything. My MC though has to be hard rebooted each time though, like pulling power cable, then restart Eucon. I'm on 3.5 and El Cap. Granted I'm on PTHD 11 which I know is not technically compatible with El Cap and was my fault for moving up without paying attention, but would that affect Eucon being a different app? Just trying to finish this project before I install PT12, but getting totally bogged down by this bug. Super annoying. Eucon Firmware IS up to date. Wired up ethernet through a switch, could there be some port forwarding that will solve anything?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_eyes View Post
My MC though has to be hard rebooted each time though, like pulling power cable, then restart Eucon.
I wonder if you have a hardware issue if its freezing ? Does it disappear from EuControl? Is EuControl still running OK ?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Sorry for the delay, I was testing and doing the upgrade. The AC seems to have been not liking PT11 on El Cap. Since I've up'd to PT12, no dropped connections...so far. Left it sitting idle yesterday and the console only went to sleep once, but only had to be woken up with power button. I'm working all day today with no issues. Didn't think Eucon and PT versions would affect each other in that way, but seems I was wrong.