Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-30-2004, 04:40 PM

Default New Digi Plug-in Smack ?

Smack

Now Available: Digidesign Smack! Foolproof Compressor/Limiter Plug-in

The latest in a series of new, powerful Digidesign® plug-ins, Smack!™ has been developed for Pro Tools® music makers who require a great-sounding, flexible, and easy-to-use compression tool.

Accurately modeling automatic gain reduction devices previously found only in hardware, Smack! controls the volume of just about any source in a very “musical” manner, adding fullness, intelligibility, and excitement to any track. Its user interface is intuitively constructed, with a look and feel reminiscent of vintage devices, enabling you to create an amazingly wide range of tonal coloration with a minimal set of controls.

Smack! elevates plug-in compression capabilities and quality to a new level, transcending the limitations often typical of digital compressors and compressor/limiter emulations. Smack!’s control ranges are practical and sweep a wide range of tonal compression color, resulting in true warmth and distinction. Along with delivering phenomenal sound, the compressor was designed to operate effectively and efficiently at any setting.

In addition to offering a variety of unique compression curves that range from subtle compression to hard limiting, Smack! includes three compressor modes that add warmth, reduce waveform distortion, and/or emulate electro-optical VCA limiters. And each of Smack!’s compression ratios has its own personality and release shape. So, from gentle curves with almost transparent compression to brick-wall limiting, Smack! delivers the extremes and everything in between.

To replicate the characteristic sound of analog tape saturation and vintage tube devices, Smack!’s distortion section lets you add subtle harmonic distortion. Instantly add second-order and/or third-order harmonic distortion with the flick of a switch. Additionally, Smack! includes external or internal side-chain processing and a built-in side-chain EQ for additional filtering.

With Smack!, it’s almost impossible to get a bad compression sound. If you're not sure which settings to use, pick a ratio somewhere in the middle of the range, set all the controls mid-way, then adjust the input-gain control until you have sufficient gain reduction displayed on the VU meter. The result is a fine, general-purpose “vanilla” setting that serves as a good starting point for further adjustment.

Smack! features include:

1. Foolproof operation — Handles any kind of audio material
2. Three compression modes — Includes a mode for emulating classic electro-optical limiters
3. Unique compression ratios — From subtle compression to hard limiting
4. Harmonic distortion — Add subtle analog-sounding distortion
5. External or internal side-chain processing and a side-chain EQ
6. Multi-channel support — For all Pro Tools multi-channel track types
7. Supports all Pro Tools sample rates up to 192 kHz
8. Supports AudioSuite, RTAS, and TDM

At home in Pro Tools-based music, broadcast, post production, and sound design applications, Smack! is an ideal plug-in choice for use with bass, drums, and vocals to bring optimal track placement and presence to your mix. Offering the ultimate in plug-in flexibility, it supports both Digidesign and Avid® software, and provides support for all Pro Tools sample rates up to 192 kHz, all multi-channel track configurations (with linked gain reduction), and AudioSuite™, RTAS®, and TDM plug-in types. Smack! is also available in AudioSuite and RTAS versions —"Smack! LE" — supporting Pro Tools LE and Avid software at a reduced price.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: New Digi Plug-in Smack ?

False hope springs eternal. When Digidesign says the plug-in runs on TDM, and you go to the Smack! page in the plug-ins section, MIX users get a nice Smack! in the face when they discover that despite their system being a TDM system, Smack! doesn't operate on TDM MIX. Or, to be more technically correct, Smack! doesn't operate on TDM I systems.

I wish Digidesign would simplify their plug-in page compatibility columns to TDM I and TDM II instead of TDM MIX, TDM HD, and TDM HD Accel. TDM MIX is TDM I, and both TDM HD and TDM HD Accel are TDM II systems. One less column in the grid, and no false hope for TDM I users. If you say that Smack! operates as AS, RTAS, and TDM II, you immediately know what TDM systems it operates on.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:06 PM

Speaking of talking Smack, what does "foolproof" mean!?
Old 08-30-2004, 06:49 PM

Yes I just looked at the plug-in finder and notice that about Mix systems. I guess what I feel "smacks" me the most is that Digidesign is adopting the practice I have hated about some other plug-in manufacturers, a higher price for a TDM version. WHY DIGI WHY You know there is competition from native systems and this is NOT helping. I think we need to get Infa in on this
Old 08-30-2004, 06:51 PM

Yes I just looked at the plug-in finder and noticed that about Mix systems. I guess what I feel "smacks" me the most is that Digidesign is adopting the practice I have hated about some other plug-in manufacturers, a higher price for a TDM version. WHY DIGI WHY You know there is competition from native systems and this is NOT helping. And please don't tell me it is harder for Digidesign to code their own plug-ins for their own system code. I think we need to get Infa in on this
Old 08-30-2004, 07:00 PM

They announced no more development for Mix - I guess that means no new Mix Stuff.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 PM

That's not my problem. I've got plenty of plug-ins that I'm satisfied with, and the ones I wish I had were made for MIX, so I don't have HD envy.

My problem is Digidesign saying that Smack! runs on TDM systems - which may be true, but then when you read the system requirements (might as well call it the fine print) you discover that MIX, which is a TDM system, is not supported.

Is their statement correct? Yes, but it is misleading.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:29 PM

Did Erik Gavriluk design the GUI?

from The World Book Dictionary
Quote:

Foolproof adj so safe or simple that even a fool can use or do it: a foolproof device, a foolproof scheme.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

Now we know what Digidesign did with Bombfactory.

It looks like they smacked! Eric...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

The description sounds very similar to how you might describe a Distressor.

Where's my HD?