Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 AM

Default MIDI signal but no audio output (not as simple as it sounds)

Hi, I'm having a problem with MIDI and I couldn't seem to find a similar problem anywhere.

I've got an electronic drum kit, which I'm outputting midi to try and record some demos with. I plug the midi out into the midi in on my MOTU 828mk3. This is then connected to my macbook pro.

I create a new midi track and an instrument track, insert Xpand2 on the instrument track, choose a drum preset and assign the output of the midi track to Xpand2. The output of the instrument track is set to main outs of the motu. The input of the midi track is set to all and I've record enabled it.

Here's the problem. It records all the midi notes that I hit, but only one out of about every 10 hits actually makes any sound, and the sound of these hits is either cut off, quiet or just doesn't sound right.

It shouldn't be a problem with the kit because it is actually recording all the midi notes on the midi track so it's outputting midi with no problem. I had got it to work perfectly with my mates lexicon interface a few weeks ago, but I tried it on his again today and the same problem happened. The only thing I've changed recently is my interface but it may be that I accidentally turned something off by accident.

Any help would be appreciated, I've been tearing my hair out over what is hopefully something simple. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 AM

Default Re: MIDI signal but no audio output (not as simple as it sounds)

This is somewhat confusing. You don't need the midi track at all here, as the instrument track will handle everything. Just open a stereo instrument track and insert your VI in the top insert slot(slot A). By default, the track will receive midi from ANY available midi source. Did you go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and create an instrument there? That needs to happen for this to work. Once there, create a new instrument, name it for the drumkit(my system uses a Roland TD10 kit) and assign the midi input port(the midi port of the MOTU). Hope this helps

BTW, the instrument you create in the Midi Studio setup has several details available, like model, brand, midi channels, etc. What really matters most are the input port(so PT looks for it) and midi channel(you can leave all lit unless you add more midi input devices/controllers(then you would need to be more specific to avoid cross-triggering).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Ok so I did everything you said, set up the midi instrument and ports, created the instrument track and inserted the instrument. Same thing still happens. It's recording every midi note, but only occasional notes are actually registering in the level meter and making any sound. Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM

You need to make sure the note in expand correspond to those that your kit is outputting. It has to map to the right notes.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.