Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Fill gaps with midi??

Is there a way to change the midi note duration to basically fill the gap until the next midi note? I know I can manually do it, but I figured (and would assume?) there is an automatic command of some sort that takes the guess work out of it?

I converted audio to midi with melodyne for a bass guitar track to change the tone, and there are a handful of gaps, but I want to keep the timing and not meticulously zoom in to every gap and make sure they're lined up. Any easy automatic way? I feel Like I've found it before, but can't right now.

Thanks, and God bless!

Mike.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Fill gaps with midi??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Is there a way to change the midi note duration to basically fill the gap until the next midi note? I know I can manually do it, but I figured (and would assume?) there is an automatic command of some sort that takes the guess work out of it?

I converted audio to midi with melodyne for a bass guitar track to change the tone, and there are a handful of gaps, but I want to keep the timing and not meticulously zoom in to every gap and make sure they're lined up. Any easy automatic way? I feel Like I've found it before, but can't right now.

Thanks, and God bless!

Mike.
Properties in real time or quantize (atl-3). Legato / overlap.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 11-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Properties in real time or quantize (atl-3). Legato / overlap.
Thanks! I'm still trying to figure it out actually.. I want to fill the gaps to the next note. All the notes aren't on a grid, and they aren't all the same note. How would I do that? Overlap makes them all overlap each other which is not what I'm looking to do, but just have the tails of the notes extend until the start of the next note.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Thanks! I'm still trying to figure it out actually.. I want to fill the gaps to the next note. All the notes aren't on a grid, and they aren't all the same note. How would I do that? Overlap makes them all overlap each other which is not what I'm looking to do, but just have the tails of the notes extend until the start of the next note.
Difficult for me at a distance. But it's a game you need to know and master. It is a coordination between quantification and legato. Not everything is possible, but a lot is possible. You have to venture into Pro Tools' MIDI capabilities, which is better than its reputation. The solution goes beyond the specific case. You must master the functions. It's a good thing for the rest of your work.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com