Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2003, 06:20 AM

Default Digi try to save money?

Hi I'm writing this as a true Digidesign LE user.
I've already bought:
Audiomedia III, 001, MBox and now 002R.
From purchase to purchase it seems you get much less documentation as Digi tries to reduce expenses but gives you mmm... worse product content.

1 Audiomedia III.
The Toolbox with the 5.0.1 came with the full manual and a getting started manual.
2 001
The 001 of mine came with 5.1.1 and getting started manual with those spirals and all and GREAT short-cuts for mac / PC...
3 MBox.
The MBox came with PT 5.2 and small b&w getting started that's it.

4 002R,
The 002R came with PT 6.0.2 and again b&w getting started but no shortcuts cards or anything simple packging with one book, cd, reg card and that's it. Even no optical cable came unlike the 001.

Why can't digi keep giving those shortcut cards? they're so helpful...

Why is that, why can't companies keep old fashioned and give you a nice package that'll make ya smile?

On the otherhand 2 GREAT things included:
1) 3 AC cables for most countries which is a very smart thing though a convertor plug would be wiser [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

2) LONG Firewire cable... finally you can put the 002R at reasonable space from the computer unlike with the 001 short cable.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Digi try to save money?

Maybe because now everything is included in the LE software,,,All the manuals you need including shortcuts. I prefer to read printed form as well as having it on my pc SO i print it. Like the shortcuts..I just print it out....Its not just Digi that is moving this way but it is becoming the norm to NOT send printed manuals..but to include them in CD-ROM form. Not sure if I see this as "worse product content" And of course you may always order these manuals from digi..for a price-which is the price they would probably have to add to the cost of a 002R if they were to send them out with printed form manuals...
Old 07-11-2003, 07:50 AM

Yes, printed manuals are becoming rare - but most software has replaced it with a fast, useful, context-sensitive help system.

Sadly, Digi uses Acrobat, which is pretty clumsy as a help system, but it's cheap.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:47 PM

You can take any of these pdf's and get them made into a paper manual at any kinko's or similar store. They'll print them in good quality, bind them in any of a number of ways. All probably much cheaper than buying a printed manual. Call em' and see what it runs ya.
-Olaf
Old 07-12-2003, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rabidium:
You can take any of these pdf's and get them made into a paper manual at any kinko's or similar store. They'll print them in good quality, bind them in any of a number of ways. All probably much cheaper than buying a printed manual. Call em' and see what it runs ya.
-Olaf
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I knew that,...why didn't I think of it already. Thanks for reminding us Rabid.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:26 AM

Quote:
-Olaf
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so can DIGIdesigns. Plus they can get a much cheaper price than we can. The more you print, cheaper the price per page [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 07-13-2003, 04:35 PM

Quote:
-Olaf
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You will find that getting the PDF printed (double sided and spiral bound) costs pretty much the same as buying the manual from digidesign (~$50)

IMHO unless you are a total newbie the printed manual isn't that much of a big deal. The PDF works great for when you occasionally need to check something.

As for the key command cards that's pretty sad omission. When I got my 5.3.1 upgrade I was sent both Mac + PC updated cards and I expect the same with the 6.1 upgrade.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 07-14-2003, 01:03 AM

I would have to agree with Rock_Artist..

I remember when I first bought my 001, I loved the look of having a nice big thick fat 400 page spiral reference manual right in front of me, so I could take it with me when I went some place just to read and learn things without being forced to sit behind my computer to learn things.

I guess several months after the 001 was introduced, Digi dropped the 400 page manuals, and just had the online documentation. No biggie I guess, but I still felt like I got the better end of the deal with my thick book.

=-Cp.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:21 AM
rogga_bogga

Maybe Digidesign is trying to be environmental friendly. It seems that not everyone wants the printed manual, and if you've bought audiomedia, 001, MBox and 002 you would own 4 manuals which would be a waste.

Just my thought...