Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-12-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Upgrade to SSD drive with PT 10?

Hope you guys see this.

I got my Glyph Studio drive back from Glyph after having them repair the Firewire ports, and I'm daisy-chaining the Mbox Pro 3 to the Glyph to the iMac. The computer sees everything, so I've got a question before I move forward.

What is the best OS to use on the iMac for the last version of Pro Tools 10? What is the most stable combination of MacOS and PT 10? I tried to install PT 10 onto 10.11.6 and the PT installer said it needed at least 10.7 to install correctly.

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-12-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbarry View Post
Hope you guys see this.

I got my Glyph Studio drive back from Glyph after having them repair the Firewire ports, and I'm daisy-chaining the Mbox Pro 3 to the Glyph to the iMac. The computer sees everything, so I've got a question before I move forward.

What is the best OS to use on the iMac for the last version of Pro Tools 10? What is the most stable combination of MacOS and PT 10? I tried to install PT 10 onto 10.11.6 and the PT installer said it needed at least 10.7 to install correctly.

Thanks
Mike
PT10 installer sees "10.11" as "10.1" and won't install because it reads it as too old. This is a known thing.
I think 10.6.8 is best for 10.3.10, but that's just because it's what I have experience with and know. There is also 10.8.5.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Having experience with something and what you know is a good recommendation.

I'll go with that. Thanks!!

Mike
Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 PM

For PT10 and 10.3.10 which is the last 10 version I would go with 10.8 5 Mountain Lion which was a super stable OSX/PT combo. 10.6.8 was also good but much older so get ahold of a ML 10.8.5 and you will be very happy if you do everything correct with optimizing your iMac and so on with PT10

We ran that Combo for 2 years with HD10 and HDN card and can’t remember once when we had any issues.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
For PT10 and 10.3.10 which is the last 10 version I would go with 10.8 5 Mountain Lion which was a super stable OSX/PT combo. 10.6.8 was also good but much older so get ahold of a ML 10.8.5 and you will be very happy if you do everything correct with optimizing your iMac and so on with PT10

We ran that Combo for 2 years with HD10 and HDN card and can’t remember once when we had any issues.

Agreed 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 07:41 PM

Where do I get my hands on a 10.8.5 ML installer? I have checked my wife's App Store and the installer isn't listed in the Purchased section. She had to have bought it, OR didn't get ML and jumped over it with a later OS release(??)
She was not running Time Machine, so no joy there.

I've partitioned 750GB of the internal hard drive and I just need an installer now. Searched the net for the better part of this evening and can't come up with anything.

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-27-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbarry View Post
Where do I get my hands on a 10.8.5 ML installer?
I don't know.

It might be that you have to first install 10.7 Lion and then upgrade to ML. OS X versions have been like that, but I'm unshure of the specifics.

A Lion installer DVD image, that I have, and could provide you with.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Then I would be very grateful if I could get the Lon image from you. Thank you.

I might have to pay Apple for a Mountain Lion installer, and that's fine. I think it's 20 bucks. I would prefer to try and get it without paying first, because my wife has already paid for it in the past.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:03 PM

The free WeTransfer that I usually use for these things have a 2gb file size limit, and the installer is 3.8gb. Do you know of a way to send it without paying?
Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 PM

Default Upgrade to SSD drive with PT 10?

You can’t update to Mountain Lion from Lion without a full ML installer. You can’t run a point update, the only ones you’ll find outside of the App Store for ML if you have Lion installed.

Eg: you have 10.7.2 installed. You can’t install 10.8.5 over the top unless that’s a full installer and not a combo update. Combo updates are available on the Apple site. Full installers are not and are only available via the App Store. These are removed when the next major version of Mac OS is released.

If you bought/downloaded the Mac OS via the App Store when it was current, then it should definitely appear in your account as an available download, even after new Mac OS versions are released. Perhaps you’re not logged in wth your wife’s iTunes account and hence, it’s not visible.

Either way, it’s pointless to install Lion if you plan on going to Mountain Lion. Just get the ML installer and install that.

I have all the Mac OS installers on a partitioned bootable installer drive going back to Snow Leopard. Unfortunately I don’t use a file hosting platform that allows files of that size to be stored in the cloud without breaking them up into smaller segments - 200Mb RAR/ZIP files etc. If you really can’t get hold of the ML installer, I could look at breaking it up and transferring that way. It’s a bit of a PITA, so try to get the installer via the App Store. If you bought it, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be available to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk