How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Default Re: virtual iLok USB key

Quote:
what's the threat? less sales in iLoks due to less loss and theft?
Their customers (the software developers that pay Pace for copy protection) might not like this happening
The threat is if one iLok could be shared to several computers simultaneously, that would be kracking the copy protection

in this discussion the Micro Controller would be the Raspberry PI device

Having had to deal with physical iLok security in the past I like the concept of remote hosing them to a computer lab but such a solution needs the blessing of Pace/iLok before I would deploy such a solution.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-30-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
in this discussion the Micro Controller would be the Raspberry PI device
nothing to hack there. it's all open source.
The server runs on any linux btw...

as I was trying to say earlier. the usb server is not providing a USB connection you could share simultaneous. That's how USB works...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM

If anyone has time to test this with a couple of Macs that would be great. I tried something comparable to this about a year ago and without even using PT I instantly got the ilok sharing devices window.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
If anyone has time to test this with a couple of Macs that would be great. I tried something comparable to this about a year ago and without even using PT I instantly got the ilok sharing devices window.
Since it was brought to my attention on this thread, I decided to try it. I have this on my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini (both 2012 on Yosemite 10.10.5). While I am unsure how to set it up a "server" that I can securely log into from anywhere and/or set it to see and use the ilok without getting the "iLok cannot be shared on multiple devices, please unplug and re-plug" message, I can say that with a local connection between both my Macs (LAN or Wi-Fi), I can use any USB device like my Axiom Pro 61, Akai MPD18, to an extent my Waves plugin authorizations loaded onto a USB thumb-drive (I cannot launch 2 DAW's to authorize the plugins for obvious reasons) that is connected to my Mac Mini on my MacBook Pro without eating up USB ports. With VirtualHere they become... well, virtual USB ports.

I like the app a lot, its a great solution when you can get the iLok to work well when trying to access it to use on one machine at a time and it works wonders not having to physically plug in my keyboard, drum pad etc... to and from my stationary Mac Mini
Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
that's normal behaviour. The USB server is not about sharing iLoks simultaneous!

Before you use the iLok on a different machine you have to unplugg the iLok or reboot the device that runs the server

Old 12-01-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
nothing to hack there. it's all open source.
The server runs on any linux btw...

as I was trying to say earlier. the usb server is not providing a USB connection you could share simultaneous. That's how USB works...
Open source has nothing to do with hacking - all it means is the development is not locked down to any one developer - anyone can develop for it. And therein lies the problem - with any software it's possible to get in and rewrite the code to make it do something that was never intended.

QAPLA!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Open source has nothing to do with hacking - all it means is the development is not locked down to any one developer - anyone can develop for it.
Of course Open Source has nothing to do with hacking. I never said that. It means the source code is available, so you don't have to hack into anything...

btw, to write code for the USB you also don't have to hack anything:

https://developer.apple.com/library/.../USBIntro.html

anyway, I still don't get your point why a USB server would encourage people to hack a software protection like the ilok... or encourage a company to block the use of it...

Quote:
And therein lies the problem - with any software it's possible to get in and rewrite the code to make it do something that was never intended.
yeah, unfortunately. but again, why hacking the iLok framwork to make it possible to share? If someone would crack it, he would turn it off completely... Or do you think of some sort of modest hacker - "I'll buy one and get the other one for free" ?

Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
Of course Open Source has nothing to do with hacking. I never said that. It means the source code is available, so you don't have to hack into anything...

btw, to write code for the USB you also don't have to hack anything:

https://developer.apple.com/library/.../USBIntro.html

anyway, I still don't get your point why a USB server would encourage people to hack a software protection like the ilok... or encourage a company to block the use of it...

yeah, unfortunately. but again, why hacking the iLok framwork to make it possible to share? If someone would crack it, he would turn it off completely... Or do you think of some sort of modest hacker - "I'll buy one and get the other one for free" ?
Apparently you don't understand hacking. And if you don't understand why a company to block the use of this device then you're a Pollyanna.

QAPLA!
Old 12-03-2015, 08:34 AM

really cool tech....I like the idea and hope it sticks around.

I never like taking my main ilok out of my computer anyway......

so this is a win win, for the end user that is....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Apparently you don't understand hacking. And if you don't understand why a company to block the use of this device then you're a Pollyanna.
I never tried to make the impression that I understand hacking.
But I understand programming.
I believe, to make a USB device being shared over a network you would have to have knowledge of the device connected to the bus and not the hub/switch itself. (which technically is not a device) This knowledge you either get from the developer or you have to hack it.

You can buy KVM switches that share USB devices with other computers.

Pace doesn't want this to happen, so they protected their device and it tells you that you can't do that:

while virtualhere is a great tool, since it can run on Synology or a RaspberryPi (and you don't have to buy another box that runs 24/7) it's not something you couldn't do with other solutions... (and that since USB is around...)

I guess it's the knowledge about technology that makes one a Pollyanna or a paranoid...
Attached Images
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto 2015-12-03 um 22.51.45.png (40.3 KB, 0 views)