Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-22-2017, 07:25 AM

Default skylake computer - pro tools HD2 system - CPU overload

HI protoolers!
is there anybody out there who had built a pro tools system with recent skylake motherboards?

I've an HD2 system (core and farm PCIx) , pro tools 10 installed on a new computer with:
- Gigabyte motherboard - chipset z170 - socket 1151
- intel I7 6700k processor
- ssd etc.

my pro tools work only for 10 seconds then: CPU overload!!!

is there anyboby who has such a system with skylake workin'?
Now I'm thinking z170 chipset is not compatible
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Re: skylake computer - pro tools HD2 system - CPU overload

It has been a while since I have used TDM, and when I did it was under OSX via a Hackintosh but the general consensus then was that PCIx cards require a motherboard and chipset that features native PCIx support - not PCIx that is bridged to PCIe. Whether that describes your motherboard or not, and whether or not the same advice is applicable to Windows systems I don't know.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 AM

thanks very much!!
...my cards are simply installed into the PCI slots available into the mother board...
...I've believed that normal PCI should have a normal workin' behavior...maybe not!!
...i'm not using adapters or some other strange devices ...the cards are directly installed into the PCI slots...
maybe you're right... I think there're some problems between PCI - ram and chipset data transferring ... there're something different from my old motherboard where everything was workin' properly...
... the result is a desperating nothin' working!!
do you think that PCI express cards can solve the question?
Old 06-23-2017, 06:04 AM

What version of Windows? Anything newer than Win7 SP1 could be an issue. Also, do you know for certain if all of the chipset drivers have been installed properly? Is your memory matched to the CPU? What video card?

"ssd, etc." ? (kinda useless info...)

Maybe post a Sandra report...
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 06-23-2017, 10:36 AM

I'm doubtful that a motherboard that supports an Intel Skylake CPU - 6th gen - would have any PCI slots. And yes, Sandra report is best.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-23-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro Brovazzo View Post
thanks very much!!
...my cards are simply installed into the PCI slots available into the mother board...
...I've believed that normal PCI should have a normal workin' behavior...maybe not!!
...i'm not using adapters or some other strange devices ...the cards are directly installed into the PCI slots...
maybe you're right... I think there're some problems between PCI - ram and chipset data transferring ... there're something different from my old motherboard where everything was workin' properly...
... the result is a desperating nothin' working!!
do you think that PCI express cards can solve the question?

PCIe HD cards may solve the problem. I haven't personally tried it, so it might be wise to try and hire/borrow a PCIe HD system and give it a spin. Having PCIx slots in your motherboard doesn't guarantee that PCIx is natively supported. On a skylake system, I would suggest they aren't. Q67 and Q77 chipsets on the other hand do offer native PCIx support, but you are more or less restricted to 1155 CPUs.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM

I believe the problem is on some kind of PCIx incompatibility too.
Yes my motherboard has two regular old PCI slots.. but I agree about the fact tha my new PCIs haven't some native compatibility.
i wiil try to find out one PCIe card and test the system to discover if there's any positive result.
kindest regards to everybody who's helpin' me!

...Post scriptum: ...I don't understand what's somebody meaning by "...matche memory to CPU" ...what function / bios setup are you talking about?
new kindest regards