Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Default Sound won’t come out of Protools 11 yet Interface is selected

I been editing music just fine in Protools 11 for a long time and today all of a sudden it started acting up. I opened a session to master and it was good. Once I finished that I opened another session I started mixing this week to continue and when I opened it I heard no audio. I the closed the session and checked another project i had just completed and didnt hear anything. I then checked playback engine and my interface was selected. Resetted my interface, protools, even computer. Nothing. I then checked a session I did in the summer and I heard audio just fine. Reopened the master session and then I heard no audio that I just heard. Now I’m just aggravated. 3 sessions won’t play audio and everything else is fine. Playback Engine says my interface and I tried changing the buffer size. Audio for the rest of the computer works fine. I can also see the audio coming out of the Master Channel in Protools so I’m lost....has someone experienced this? What could it be?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:19 PM

Default Sound won’t come out of Protools 11 yet Interface is selected

Default your IO?? trash prefs??? ... describe what standard troubleshooting steps have you tried. Start at “help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page.

Folks here are not going to pay much attention to you with such little useful information. Please post expected stuff starting with your System information. And include screenshots of Setup>IO pages, screenshots or description of what exact IO output is selected on tracks. Descriptions if meters are moving... actual useful information in problem solving. All the story of how you got here really don’t help. And we have no idea what you mean by “resetting” Pro Tools. What, are you actually doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-11-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Sound won’t come out of Protools 11 yet Interface is selected

Okay I apologize I don't have screen shots as I am not at home at the time of this reply. I will explain everything I have tried.

I use a 2013 Mac Pro (Trashcan) base model 6-Core and Dual GPU
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based SSD.

Protools 11 with the latest update.

First thing I tried was going into my playback engine and making sure my interface was selected. The buffer size was 64 so I moved it to 256 while I was in the menu. No luck

I then went into IO and defaulted everything. No luck

I did not Trash Preferences in fact not sure how to do it.

I saw all the meters working on each session but couldn't hear anything.

I checked the output and everything was correct. no luck

At this time I was mind blown because I was thinking I clicked something on the keyboard that could have muted the whole session. Checked the most 3 recent sessions I've done and it didn't work. Went back to a session I did in The summer and it worked perfectly.

I closed Protools, and even restarted the computer and what not. Still no luck. At this point I tried googling and nothing would help. I'm absolutely lost and I need these sessions...

Every session is saved onto my External Harddrive by Lacie.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM

OK.

Lots of times output problems with the Elven Rack are cause by having one of multiple volume levels set low. If you are just switching sessions and not changing the Elven Rack settings or switching rigs and it works in some sessions and not the other then that is not the issue.

Do you sessions have audio tracks playing back straight out the Main output? i.e. are not just say dry tracks being reamped by the Eleven Rack? You can also stick a signal generator on the master fader and check that plays.

You need to carefully check the IO paths look correct, the track output IO selectors are what you expect etc. and there is signal moving on the master fader meter.

How to trash prefs is under the "help us help you" link up the top of this web page. Or get the Prefs Helper app from http://petegates.com.

In sessions that are not working start by trying switching the playback engine to built in output, and back to the Eleven Rack. That should tell you if it's a session or Eleven Rack problem.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-12-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:55 PM

I'll try clearing preferences when I get home. I did change the Playback Engine though didn't work. I don't have the Eleven Rack I have a Apollo 8p though.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Oops my bad, not sure why I assumed it was an Eleven Rack.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego18br View Post
.... Playback Engine says my interface
For Pro Tools, I always have my Playback Engine set to my Onboard Sound (not to my Mbox 3 Pro).

When I recently experienced “no sound”, re-installing my Mbox 3 Pro's Drivers fixed it.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:32 PM

Every other Playback Engine I tried all tracks go grey for inactive. I tried Trashing preferences and nothing....It's weird because every other session I have works just fine....
Old 12-12-2017, 06:36 PM

I opened one of the old sessions that audio works. Closed it, made a new session and put the audio it worked from there.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego18br View Post
I opened one of the old sessions that audio works. Closed it, made a new session and put the audio it worked from there.
Do you have 'session overwrites selected audio I/O' or whatever it's called (not at my daw right now) selected in PT prefs?

QAPLA!