Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Default output to headphone jack on imac

i finally got pro tools 10 to record through my eleven rack but my monitor speakers are hooked into the headphone jack of my imac and i hear nothing! in playback config i have it set to eleven rack - seems like the only way it will see my guitar to record. question is - how to i tell pro tools that my output is the headphone jack? p.s. very new to pro tools since i havent been able to get it working for a lonnng time! had to quit using fast track pro since its not supported in mac os10.11!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Re: output to headphone jack on imac

You normally don't. And normally don't want to use the Mac audio.

It's best to connect your monitors and headphones directly to the Eleven Rack.

If you have to monitor through your Mac you can create an aggregate audio device (go into Audio/Midi setup audio panel and edit what is un the Pro Tools Aggregate IO device to have the Eleven Rack and Built-In output.). Aggregate IO tends to work worse than just using the interface by itself. There are many many posts on the Web describing howe to work with aggregate IO. Did I already mention you are better off working with the Eleven Rack by itself? Oh yes I did....
Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyoung1 View Post
i finally got pro tools 10 to record through my eleven rack but my monitor speakers are hooked into the headphone jack of my imac and i hear nothing! in playback config i have it set to eleven rack - seems like the only way it will see my guitar to record. question is - how to i tell pro tools that my output is the headphone jack? p.s. very new to pro tools since i havent been able to get it working for a lonnng time! had to quit using fast track pro since its not supported in mac os10.11!
Got news for you - you have other problems than just where your monitor speakers are connected. And that is you're trying to run PT10 on a totally unsupported OSX and should expect problems like blank insert menus until you hover over them, etc. PT10 won't run without issue on any OSX later than OSX 10.9.5. The 11R may be supported in ElCrapitan (which by the way has it's own set of issues) but PT10 isn't and won't be.

QAPLA!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:19 PM

I have seen the stupid issue of having to hover (and other things).....PT10 came with my eleven rack (got an updated driver to make it work in osx10.11). I guess its back to garageband!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyoung1 View Post
I have seen the stupid issue of having to hover (and other things).....PT10 came with my eleven rack (got an updated driver to make it work in osx10.11). I guess its back to garageband!!!!!!!
Or you could roll back to OSX 10.9.5 or move on to PT12. You should have checked for compatibility BEFORE going to ElCrapitan.

QAPLA!