Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 PM

Default Need to increase the overall size of Pro Tools

I just opened up the new 2020.12 version of Pro Tools and the entire program looks like it has shrunk. I have it running across 2 screens and all the windows themselves - not the audio - the windows are smaller than they've ever been. I don't want to have to change the size of my screen display to accommodate this one program. Everything else looks just fine and frankly, Pro Tools has always been just fine until this version. Any ideas as to what has happened and how to repair this?
Running a mid 2012 Mac Pro with a 30" Apple Cinema HD Display and a 30" HP ZR30w display as my desktop.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Need to increase the overall size of Pro Tools

Hmmm, anything recently change? New screen? New resolution setting? For a Mac, I think you just need to drag the edges of the MIX and EDIT windows out to fill the area desired. For Windows users, drag the edges of the main window(not the MIX or EDIT windows) out to fill the desired area. Then place MIX and EDIT as desired and drag the edges of those 2 out to the size you want. Finish by hitting Alt+F4 to close PT(save on the way out). PT should open that way the next time

BTW, what resolution are you using on the HP and how does it look?(looks like a very nice screen)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-26-2021, 08:30 PM

Hi Dave,
Nothing has changed - just the newest and latest version of Pro Tools. I've been running these displays for years. Dragging the edges of the application just opens it wider but doesn't make the actual size of the application larger. I'm running both displays at 2048 x 1280. Very odd ... I can change the display resolution to 16000 x 1000 and that makes the application nice an d big but now everything else on my desktop is way oversized. Btw, this is also a new Pro Tools theme. Is there any way to make it look like it used to? Thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosindabow View Post
Btw, this is also a new Pro Tools theme. Is there any way to make it look like it used to? Thanks
You are looking at the new "Dark Mode." If you don't like it, there is a thread about how to modify the colors to a more pleasant color scheme. Otherwise, you can go into preferences and switch from "Dark Mode" to "Classic" to get it to look like previous versions of Protools color wise. As for the window sizes, I didn't get any differences that you are reporting when changing to 2020.12, so I can't make any suggestions.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-27-2021, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosindabow View Post
Hi Dave,
Nothing has changed - just the newest and latest version of Pro Tools. I've been running these displays for years. Dragging the edges of the application just opens it wider but doesn't make the actual size of the application larger. I'm running both displays at 2048 x 1280. Very odd ... I can change the display resolution to 16000 x 1000 and that makes the application nice an d big but now everything else on my desktop is way oversized. Btw, this is also a new Pro Tools theme. Is there any way to make it look like it used to? Thanks
Why aren't you running the Apple Cinema Display at native resolution of 2560X1600? Same question for the HP display.

If you want the modified dark mode file drop me an email. Before you do that search out the long thread about it here.

QAPLA!
Old 02-01-2021, 02:35 PM

I'm running it at these resolutions so that I can see the screens. When I switch to the higher resolution, everything on the desktop becomes too small for me to use.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:37 PM

After a lot of searching, partly because the screen is harder to see, I found the place to change back to Classic. I like this much better than dark. I might like the dark theme if I could scale the resolution - make it all larger.