Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Surround Mix from Stereo Mix Plug?

I put a mix up on the home stereo to do the usual check-it-out here, there and everywhere.

Surprise! Vocals coming through the home theatre center channel. Some low level music coming out the L/R stereo speakers, and low level music coming from L/R rear channel speakers.

This is the first stereo mix to come off the machine since upgrading from PT 7.0 to 7.1 service pack.

I checked to see if the stereo mixer had been replaced by the surround mixer in the plugins folder, and it had not.

Normally mixes from PT come off just fine, and play only in the stereo L/R speakers only.

Did I miss a preference setting or what? Seems its encoded for 5.1...or am I just missing something daft here?

...JB

PT 7.1cs10 (combined updater) HD2|Accel PMac G4 AGP Graphics 704MB RAM MacOS 10.4.9
Old 05-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Surround Mix from Stereo Mix Plug?

Hi,
Is your Home Theater receiver set for Dolby Pro Logic? That would make any center-panned audio (and "stereo" audio that's actually the same on both sides) get decoded to the center, and reverbs and such bleeding into the surrounds. This is just how the Dolby matrix works. So, if you're checking a "plain-vanilla" stereo mix (Lo/Ro, as opposed to Dolby Lt/Rt) on a home theater system, make sure the receiver is in the "music" mode, which just outputs left and right stereo, with no Pro Logic decoding.
Hope this helps, good luck!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook