Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 not launching on 10.6.6 - can't see iLok

Quote:
Originally Posted by emspace View Post
Was this issue ever resolved? Now it's my turn, I'm afraid...

I've been working on a session since this morning. Pro Tools started complaining about a missing iLok around noon (while the session was still open). I would unplug the iLok, plug it back in, then restart Pro Tools and it would see it again. However, the missing iLok notifications became more frequent in the late afternoon and now Pro Tools won't see it at all anymore.

My setup: Pro Tools 9 / OS X 10.6.7 / iLok 1st generation

I'm using a MacBook Pro and I've already ruled out faulty USB slots (iLok.com is able to detect my iLok just fine along with all the licenses on them). I've tried updating to the most recent iLok drivers and still no dice.

Quite frustrating as I witnessed this breakdown unfold while working on a session the whole day.
You are not having the problem discussed in this thread, as it only occurs with the iLok2. Your situation sounds more like a dying iLok or a problem with software. Have you tried testing from a new admin account or doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of the iLok software? Have you tried trashing preferences in Pro Tools? Can you test the iLok on another computer?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools 9 not launching on 10.6.6 - can't see iLok

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjazzwreck View Post
I found a solution which a few other people already mentioned... I went on craigslist and found someone selling a first generation iLok. I picked it up last night. After I got home I moved my license from the ilok 2 to the older generation ilok on ilok.com and viola! Pro Tools 9 started right up with no problems.

So now it seems like there is definitely a problem with the new generation of iLoks and certain systems. Avid basically told me I would have to get in touch with PACE about it. I purchased the software and had to then spend extra money and waste days not being able to use my system. It is pretty infuriating, but at least I figured out some sort of solution that would allow me to actually use the software I purchased.
The scenario with the iLok authorization and PT9 is really incredible. I am attaching the communication that I have had with iLok and according to them the problem seems to be a software problem with PowerTools and to which Avid doesn't seem to be interested in providing a solution to.

>>>>>>

Message from the user:

I would like to know if the software available on the PACE web site: InterLok
Mac OS X extensions installer v5.7.2 ... contains a newer version of the
driver listed on the iLok site, as there is no version number. The iLok is
detected as containing the proper authorization upon launching PowerTools 9.
After 2 activation requests >> "Error:Missing iLok authorization for ProTools
9. Please insert the necessary iLok to continue." Changing USB ports does not
solve the problem nor re-booting. ¿ PT detects the authorization on the iLok
but not the device ?

On 05/07/2011 19:20, iLok.com Technical Support wrote:

The drivers on PACE and iLok.com are the same, one version is not newer than the other. I understand how the lack of a version number on iLok.com is confusing, sorry about that.

If a license that is on your iLok is not authorizing the associated software, please contact the software developer of the software you are attempting to use for further information on the use and authorization of their product.

Understand that the software developers are the only ones capable of licensing their products. PACE merely builds the infrastructure for the software publishers to distribute their products in the way that is consistent with their licensing terms.

Best Regards,
J. Mack
iLok.com Technical Support
<http://www.ilok.com>

my reply:

Thank you for the reply. The situation I find myself in is extremely frustrating. I have researched this problem in forums and via web searches. iLok refers me to AVID (the software developer), AVID refers me to iLok. Neither offering me a solution to a bricked Digidesign 003 and a legal version of ProTools 9 (useless without the corresponding authorization). I have posted this situation; of an iLok that has a valid authorization being recognized by the authorization process of the software (PT9) but the iLok device fails to be recognized. I have found no solution to this impasse. On the AVID forum there are numerous posts concerning this issue and the only person that seems to have had any success is by changing the authorization from an iLok v2 to an iLok v1. Does this solution really sound like a software problem to you or a hardware issue ? I feel like a ping pong ball in an AVID + iLok match. The iLok I have is version 2, which makes be suspect that the solution which I add to this message may be valid. I sincerely do not believe that being forced to purchase an older version of iLok is a serious option, for a serious company !!!

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ht=ilok&page=3

Yes, you are correct. The lack of a version number on iLok IS confusing, particularly when some sites refer to PACE as containing the latest version.

iLok:

The software developers do have the option of specifying whether or not their licenses will work on iLok 2's versus iLok 1's. If the software developer takes advantage of this option, there isn't anything we can do about it.

Best Regards,
J. Mack
iLok.com Technical Support
<http://www.ilok.com>
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Avid

Quote:
The scenario with the iLok authorization and PT9 is really incredible. I am attaching the communication that I have had with iLok and according to them the problem seems to be a software problem with PowerTools and to which Avid doesn't seem to be interested in providing a solution to.
We're interested, but as stated in a few threads on this subject, we need to see an iLok2 that's experiencing this issue. If you're willing to send us yours we'll send you a replacement to use in the meantime.

One quick question - do you have Bluetooth enabled? If so, does disabling it prevent the problem from occurring? What about if you also disable ethernet and/or your internet connection?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM

I can confirm that on my system i have internet, ethernet, bluetooth and wifi disabled. I have 1 pt9 auth not bundled on my ilok 2 no other auths. I have m audio drivers installed. I would be willing to send mine in if i can get a replacement first so i can still use it at work.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 AM

Talking Re: Pro Tools 9 not launching on 10.6.6 - can't see iLok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We're interested, but as stated in a few threads on this subject, we need to see an iLok2 that's experiencing this issue. If you're willing to send us yours we'll send you a replacement to use in the meantime.

One quick question - do you have Bluetooth enabled? If so, does disabling it prevent the problem from occurring? What about if you also disable ethernet and/or your internet connection?
Thank you for your very kind offer. I would love to send you an iLok2 that has the authorization detected but the not the device. Can you please provide me with an address and contact name. I don't know if it can be a problem concerning this offer but I am located in Spain. I am having this problem in a new installation and have tried all sorts of setup scenarios both with OSX ad PT9.
No Bluetooth and the same problem whether ethernet is enabled or not.
  • installed OSX 10.6.3
    updated to 10.6.4 (PT9 requires it)
    installed PT9 drivers first
    installed PT 9.0 (iLok failed to complete authorization)
    updated PT 9.0 to 9.0.3 (same iLok problem)
    all USB devices are detected properly except iLok (changing USB ports, same problem)
    the iLok2 is the original that came with the software PT9
    have re-synced the iLok just for good measure (same problem)

Happy to see that AVID does care. You are back on my whitelist.

from another forum discussing iLok issues and to which i agree with:

There is not a single piece of software (that uses iLok), including the latest ones, that is not available in its free fully working cracked version within few seconds. So what PROTECTION DOES IT PROVIDE ??? None ...
The honest users are being molested with all the iLok nonsense, pirates enjoy an easy life. I actually know lot of official SW users who buy the SW, suffer iLok BS, throw it out and use the "cracked versions" ....

The TRUTH is, that any kind of protection DOES NOT protect anything, just obstructs the buyers from easy use of the software.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Although I don't believe it should make any difference, my HDD that PT9 is installed on is a SSD
Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Avid

Can you send me an email to : vi [at] digidesign [dot] com

I'd like to make the arrangements to get your iLok2 and get you out a replacement. If you can include all your contact details in the email, that would be great.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Guys,

I was having all kinds of issues including the authorization issue.

Believe it or not, it all came down to a failing USB hub.

If you have any peripherals, and specifically your iLok plugged into a hub, try plugging it directly into the machine, or get another hub (pay good $ for it, the cheap ones don't last), and try again.

Even if your iLok key isn't plugged into the hub, try replacing the USB hub. A faulty hub interferes with your machine on a number of different levels, and it's such a simple troubleshooting step, that it' worth trying.

if you're using a FW hub, try bypassing that as well.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 AM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools 9 not launching on 10.6.6 - can't see iLok

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboucher15 View Post
Guys,

I was having all kinds of issues including the authorization issue.

Believe it or not, it all came down to a failing USB hub.

If you have any peripherals, and specifically your iLok plugged into a hub, try plugging it directly into the machine, or get another hub (pay good $ for it, the cheap ones don't last), and try again.

Even if your iLok key isn't plugged into the hub, try replacing the USB hub. A faulty hub interferes with your machine on a number of different levels, and it's such a simple troubleshooting step, that it' worth trying.

if you're using a FW hub, try bypassing that as well.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Thanx for the nfo, but it is not my case. I have 6 USB ports on the MOB and 2 on the case, none work with the iLok (and only the iLok). Now I have an iLok that can't even be re-synced online, no iLok detected. PT9 therefore doesn't even recognize the iLok much less the authorization it contains. This is the dumbest "protection" system I know of. It really turns me off in a big way from ever buying any iLok "protected" software again. All it does is produce totally unnecessary hassles for legal users. Pirated software works perfectly, so what does the iLok "protection" system really protect. ilok's bank account !!! Abysmal and very expensive customer service as well.

Thanks to DigiTechSupt for the replacement offer. Will send you all the requested nfo to your email.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM

This is getting rediculous. I am losing work now because of this! Feeling pretty damn cheated and ripped of by avid and ilok right about now. Maybe time to learn Nuendo?