Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 AM

Default Got my first HD rig :-)

So, I'm finally running HD2!!!

I've been looking to set up a PCI HD5 rig with a new Hackintosh, and will do so eventually, but instead I've been able to get a hold of 2 PCI-e cards and 96 io for a relatively amazing price and have decided to install them into my current Hackintosh (Z77 chipset so no native PCI support, but plenty of PCI-e slots).

It's amazing! Rock solid and durable! I lost some of my automatic delay compensation switching from 10 with CPTK to HD-TDM, but the stability of this system is amazing and I still run all the native plugins I could want on my Core i7 3770 with no problems, but now have the added benefit of low latency recording

I'm one happy dude! TDM is still amazing. HDX is still more amazing, but TDM is enough for me.

Just wanted to share the good news
Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Got my first HD rig :-)

Congrats man. Rock on👍 I've been dreaming about a HD rig for years but can't afford it right now. Jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
Congrats man. Rock on👍 I've been dreaming about a HD rig for years but can't afford it right now. Jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Yea man, I get that. It's been a dream of mine for over 8 years to be able to use an HD rig. That dream has come true and there will also be a Pro Control in the studio if everything works out
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Get rid of the 96, the 192 is substantially better. A 192 can easily be had for 700 bucks these days used and a very good buy.

I almost exclusively use Native plugins on my HD system. Even when I use a TDM plug while tracking, I change it to Native once I am done. Of course some things have to remain TDM, but for me, it is very few, which is why I have been able to work for this long on just an HD2.

Core cards are dropping very fast, you can get a core card for the same or less than an Accel Card. Probably due to so many people going with HD since the price has dropped and then looking to expand, keeping Accel cards more expensive.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-15-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Get rid of the 96, the 192 is substantially better. A 192 can easily be had for 700 bucks these days used and a very good buy.

I almost exclusively use Native plugins on my HD system. Even when I use a TDM plug while tracking, I change it to Native once I am done. Of course some things have to remain TDM, but for me, it is very few, which is why I have been able to work for this long on just an HD2.

Core cards are dropping very fast, you can get a core card for the same or less than an Accel Card. Probably due to so many people going with HD since the price has dropped and then looking to expand, keeping Accel cards more expensive.
Well, I'm still going to setup an HD 5 Accel at home for mixing. Just got to get it all done. The 96 io and the 192 use the same converter chip if I'm not mistaken, but the power supply is different. My plan is to get an Omni and use that with the 96 io.

The HD5 Accel will be PCI-X ( I already have two and if it all works out maybe a 3rd in the next few weeks) and I have the Magma Chassis already and I'll use my old computer for a bit with it, whilst my new machine will be in the studio since it has more ram which our composer needs.

I'm pretty excited to be honest. I also mostly use native plugins, but some plugins that I like are TDM only, ie Crainsong Phoenix, Eventide Anthology ii, Heat and TC reverbs (I do have the Powercore but that uses too much latency). But yes, mixing Native on an HD2 is currently a must because the TDM plugins I like are the ones that eat the most chips :-(

I Love this rig
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
Well, I'm still going to setup an HD 5 Accel at home for mixing. Just got to get it all done. The 96 io and the 192 use the same converter chip if I'm not mistaken, but the power supply is different. My plan is to get an Omni and use that with the 96 io.

The HD5 Accel will be PCI-X ( I already have two and if it all works out maybe a 3rd in the next few weeks) and I have the Magma Chassis already and I'll use my old computer for a bit with it, whilst my new machine will be in the studio since it has more ram which our composer needs.

I'm pretty excited to be honest. I also mostly use native plugins, but some plugins that I like are TDM only, ie Crainsong Phoenix, Eventide Anthology ii, Heat and TC reverbs (I do have the Powercore but that uses too much latency). But yes, mixing Native on an HD2 is currently a must because the TDM plugins I like are the ones that eat the most chips :-(

I Love this rig
I'm running a HD7 accel rig and same as you I completely love it. I'm not interested in going native just because I love the stability of TDM.

When I was looking for my system I researched for ages on a 96 or 192 and all the reading I done suggested that the 192 was superior so I paid that little extra and went the 192 route, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the 96

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
I'm running a HD7 accel rig and same as you I completely love it. I'm not interested in going native just because I love the stability of TDM.

When I was looking for my system I researched for ages on a 96 or 192 and all the reading I done suggested that the 192 was superior so I paid that little extra and went the 192 route, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the 96
HD7 would be nice and is possible since I have the Magma chassis... Hmm

How many E-channels can you run?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
HD7 would be nice and is possible since I have the Magma chassis... Hmm

How many E-channels can you run?
Ive never really seen how many E Channels it can run but i might have to find out now

What magma chassis are you running i was told the P7R64 only runs on certain Apple OS's Id love to make a Hackintosh but because in on HD10 i would have to use the relevant OS which makes the P7R64 unusable I think

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 AM

I'd have to check which magma chassis it is... I'm on vacation these next two weeks.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM

I just checked my emails and found that my chassis is the digidesign 64 bit expansion chassis (P7R464). From what I understood from the Magma website is that the chassis doesn't need drivers or anything like that... OS is also irrelevant.

Are you on Snow Leopard?