Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance releases SPL Iron

I am digging this thing, btw.

On a more specific note: I know about code re-use and such, but I swear this stereo spread option on the bottom row sounds better than similar options on PIA components. (digital V3, Mstr Desk, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'd wager that most 'mastering' h/w has finer steps like 1dB or even .5dB
Indeed - I wasn't even thinking amounts earlier. Just the existence of defined steps.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post

On a more specific note: I know about code re-use and such, but I swear this stereo spread option on the bottom row sounds better than similar options on PIA components. (digital V3, Mstr Desk, etc)
I feel this way as well. The imaging characteristics with Iron appear very unique to me. "In a good way."

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:

snippage here

Indeed - I wasn't even thinking amounts earlier. Just the existence of defined steps.
To make recall easier most mastering h/w and s/w has defined steps. That way the engineer just counts the number of clicks or notes the position which means he or she has to keep good session notes.
An update on the non-correct recall of plugin color - inconsistent but mostly good (at least on my system) recalls correctly. The left meter not working is also inconsistent; sometimes works right, sometimes not. The chirp when changing LR/MS modes with transport running IS consistent though.

QAPLA!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:08 PM

I love Iron. One of those few plugs that sounds musical and pleasing. Got a great light comp on a master buss of alt rock. Worked great on a spanky rhythm guitar track.

I wasn't impressed with their townhouse comp that came out last year but this is worth demoing. I bought it. I love that PA makes this stuff for AAX dsp as well.

The mono maker shelf is awesome.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
I love Iron. One of those few plugs that sounds musical and pleasing. Got a great light comp on a master buss of alt rock. Worked great on a spanky rhythm guitar track.

I wasn't impressed with their townhouse comp that came out last year but this is worth demoing. I bought it. I love that PA makes this stuff for AAX dsp as well.

The mono maker shelf is awesome.

C
After all the hype about Townhouse I found it very disappointing and binned it even before the 14 day demo expired. The more I try Iron the more I like it.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 AM

I got the Townhouse a couple months after it came out when it went back on sale for some weekend promotional thing. I've found that I didn't like it when needing something very plain. I also don't like the finicky behavior when small volume adjustments are made upstream. Seemed like too much to manage.

What I did like was taking it out of auto release mode. It worked well for that last little bit of low end energy gel.

More often than not, though, it ends up being removed.

Back to the Iron plug: It almost felt like cheating. I had the same feeling for the MasterDesk, too.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
snippage
The chirp when changing LR/MS modes with transport running IS consistent though.
To show I'm not nuts and the chirp does happen listen to this video at about 33 minutes into it and you'll hear the chirp when he switches between LR and MS modes and back again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZi2zif5YM

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
To show I'm not nuts and the chirp does happen listen to this video at about 33 minutes into it and you'll hear the chirp when he switches between LR and MS modes and back again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZi2zif5YM
Yup, I hear it up close to the 34 minute mark a few times as he switches in and out. I've heard that sort of thing often, though. I never knew it was considered a defect. He doesn't seem concerned. I can't think how or when I hear it, but I'm sure it's doing things like he's doing there. Switching parameters back and forth on taxing sessions, maybe?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Yup, I hear it up close to the 34 minute mark a few times as he switches in and out. I've heard that sort of thing often, though. I never knew it was considered a defect. He doesn't seem concerned. I can't think how or when I hear it, but I'm sure it's doing things like he's doing there. Switching parameters back and forth on taxing sessions, maybe?
Doesn't matter how taxing or not a session is - the chirp happens even on single tracks. Try it on a piano track and switch between MS & LR modes and you'll hear the chirp in the right channel. Over at Gearslutz another poster there hears it, has also raised a support ticket with PA and he was told by them that the (PA) can repro the chirp. No eta on a fix, sadly

There's no other plugin I have that supports MS along with LR and has this chirp when switching modes and the transport is running. And it happens regardless of plugin format - aax, au or vst or daw.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Fortunately this chirp isn't slowing me down. And I won't use the plug-in any less because of it. I'm really impressed with Iron.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com