How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Where Ca I Buy Pro Tools 9 ??

Hi,

I've looked around the Avid site and can't find where to buy PT 9 ??

Any suggestions?

TTY
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Where Ca I Buy Pro Tools 9 ??

Avid sells the current Pro Tools 11 Product. You would want a very good reason to buy an old license--and Avid won't sell you one.

You can find those used, like from EBay. via an iLok electronic transfer or a physical iLok transfer, either way you may want a copy if the install media as well.

You may be able to find an unregistered product and be able to register that (be careful it was really not already/used registered) and was not bundled with hardware you need serial numbers from. Registering in your own name gets you access to full-installers in your Avid account.

If you do not know what you are doing with Pro Tools, iLoks and installers, there are lots of ways to get stuck or ripped off. If starting off new with Pro Tools you are likely much better off upgrading whatever you need to to be able to run Pro Tools 11.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Where Ca I Buy Pro Tools 9 ??

Not so sure they're even selling it anymore. Maybe find a retailer that's selling an Mbox bundled with PT9? Any reason you don't just go with PT10?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 AM

No, I would take PT 10 ... in another thread Albee suggested either 9 or 10 to meet my needs (I'm still happy with 6.4 Digi001) but want to use my laptop WIn7 gear and PT 9 or 10 just for final mixes and mastering plug-ins like Ozone 5. Albee suggested that I won't need any hardware add on with 9 or 10 and that it would work for me. :)
Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Then off you go to EBay land. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Then off you go to EBay land. Caveat emptor.
Yes indeed. What to watch out for with eBay; look for a seller with lots of 100% positive feedback, and read the listing carefully to make sure you are getting a iLok authorization. Some sellers are selling the install disk but no license, and some are selling an upgrade deal where you must have the previous version. If you are a student, you could buy the academic version at a discount.

One more caveat; I saw one seller that is selling used software with an iLok, BUT, he bought it used, so he may NOT have the iLok account info. Without that, you could use it, but NOT be able to upgrade it later as you would never be able to log onto the iLok account and make it your own(I had similar happen with a used MPTK asset. I got the iLok and it worked, but can never be upgraded or transferred).

After looking at eBay for a bit, I am also seeing some "virtual" versions. Not sure what the heck that is, but I suspect someone may be selling cracked software(Pro Tools 9 and up REQUIRE an iLok, and PT11 requires iLok 2). You might consider buying a retail package of an interface WITH software(make sure its the full software and not the EXPRESS version) and then sell the hardware Sorry its so complicated, but you know PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave