Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2000, 09:36 AM

Default Re: PT wish list

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wants a keystroke to toggle between Auto Input and Input Only modes! I'm constantly trying out overdubs and such without actually recording them. That seems to be my most used function on the operation menu, and I think it's the ONLY thing there without a keystroke.

Tom
Old 05-08-2000, 03:20 PM

In a recording session, it takes too long to create new tracks, name them (or else you know the consequences!!), route them in and out and pan, just because the producer wants to move onto another set of tracks to overdub NOW and you're corking the artist's creative juices, you little prick!

Add Track Set... in which you set up a mini-template beforehand but just for sets/groups of tracks to be entered into the session after-the-fact.

Using naming strings, ΰ la the auto-rename dialogue, you name the set something global when created and the extra descriptions you set up before are added to the appropriate track name(s) or the Comments fields:

For example, Set "X" has 3 tracks, a close mike track and two rooms. The tracks that are the room mikes will add the word "room L" or "room R" to the track name given at the time of creation and the text: "M50" to the comments. They are set up with appropriate routing and panning. The close mic track will also have whatever variables you want appended to the names and the correct routing is pre-destined.

When you create the set, you type "Tenor O/D 1" (or something) into the naming dialogue and you get three tracks readily panned, routed as you wish, and named, "Tenor O/D 1", "Tenor O/D 1 room L", and "Tenor O/D 1 room R" consecutively, as you set it up before.

You could have several set up waiting for most any eventuality. Templates only work when you have a predictable situation.

Of course, an easy way to do most of this (without the power) would be to have a "Duplicate Tracks" command that would work on multi-selected tracks and give you the tracks you want to be set up like, but without the regions. A rename feature like that stated above would be nifty.

Dan

[This message has been edited by D Pinder (edited May 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by D Pinder (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old 05-08-2000, 08:04 PM

How about automatic search for the audio files when you open a session!
I sometimes waste a lot of time trying to find some files that have been moved somewhere else to make room or whatever...
Automatic search would be nice.
Old 05-08-2000, 10:35 PM

tld

I use QuicKeys for assigning Auto Input or Tape monitor. And the all important close window. There's a 30 day demo which is nice.
Old 05-09-2000, 06:59 PM

I'm with Wazoo. Why, in a version 5.0 product, does PT still not know how to look in the directory of the session you've got open?!
Old 05-10-2000, 02:39 PM

Thanks Produceher. Think I'll give QuicKeys a try.

Tom
Old 05-13-2000, 09:04 PM

Okay, here's another one...

Make Round Robin disk allocation a little more intelligent... If the disk that is allocated for a track has less than 5% free space available (or a user definable amount) have it switch to the next drive. Using Round Robin, I shouldn't run out of disk space until all drives are full -- I understand that PT has to allocate the amount before starting playback/record so PT should use the length of the current session as a guide to determine if there's a possibility of running out of disk space before playback/record is instantiated - and if so allocate another drive to the track automatically.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-14-2000, 07:41 AM

You wish Rail.

NB
Old 05-18-2000, 04:57 PM

And, coming back to hardware I/O inserts, how about a bypass on these ones? Automated, of course.
Branko
Old 05-21-2000, 07:50 AM

My List:

MIDI Notation. ie. Proper music notation and the ability to print out parts for the musicians.

Multiple undos.

As well as Mix and/or Edit groups there should be plugin groups. ie. If a channel is part of a Mix/Edit/Plugin group inserting, adjusting parameters, bypassing or deleting a plugin will affect all the members of the group.

Greg