Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-25-2003, 10:36 PM

Default HELP! Acoustic guitar recording and mixing.

Needless to say... My acoustic guitar recording sounds like pooh. What do you guys recommend for micking and mixing? I've only got the plugins that come wiht LE. Also, i'm very interested in the sound of the guitars on John Mayer's "Inside wants out" album.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-25-2003, 10:46 PM

Default Re: HELP! Acoustic guitar recording and mixing.

What kind of mics are you using? How and where are you placing the mics? What type guitar is it? What type of room are you recording it in? All of this info will help us help you better.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:17 PM

I'm using my Fender GA45-SCE, for the mics i'm using my MXL V93M, and a nady CM90... True they're cheap... I'm recording in my room. It's about 14'x18' with your typical ceiling height. I was placing the CM90 near the 14th fret, and the MXL directly in front of the soundhole.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:53 PM

Well, you can start by moving that second mic away from the soundhole - try placing it just behind, and slightly beneath, the bridge. The other one at the 14th fret should be fine.

Don't be afraid to experiment with positioning. A small change can sometimes make a huge difference, so move those mics around until you hear what you like. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oktava MC012's are fairly inexpensive ($200 for a matched set if you haggle a bit at Gtr Ctr) and sound very good on acoustics. BTW, what TYPE of acoustic do you have?

Also, in the mix, you might want to roll off some low end - especially if you have a lot of other things going on along with the guitar (such as kick drum and bass guitar).

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:31 AM

Just to follow up with what Phil suggested: If you're using the 001 pre's make sure you go in to the hardware setup and engage the high pass filters. Additionally, if you are using headphones while you record, get to know the headphones! If they seem overly hyped in the high end than you should know that the sound of your acoustic coming through the headphones should also be overly hyped in the high end. If you are hearing a mellow, bassy sound coming from the guitar (in the headphones), change the position of the mics until it gets to that overly hyped, high end sound. Also, to reduce proximity effect, move the mics away from the guitar. You can also mess around with rotating the mics slightly so that the guitar is not directly on-axis with the diaphram.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:55 PM

You're speaking japanese... I Just got my mbox yesterday... How do you pan left and right? Also, is it possible to do the thing with the high pass filters with the MBox? and this may be a dumb question, but how do you make fades?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:24 PM

Rob
Sounds like you need to do a bit more "fiddling" with PTLE and learn more of what it does. If you've used analog mixers then panning should be a straight-forward concept. Go to the mix window (use ctrl/= to toggle back and forth between the mix and edit windows) and familiarize yourself with all the controls and functions. Go to the Digidesign website and order the free DVD. It's got some great tips to get you started on the basic functions. Also if you can find a copy of the old VHS version, it's even better for tips and tricks.

Anyway, on your acoustic micing... I'm doing that every week. Most of our material has acoustic guitars. I have a great little article on stereo micing acoustic guitars that helped me heaps. I can email it to you if you like.
In the meantime, make sure you are using the 3-1 rule. ie. The mics should be 3 times as far from each other as they are from the instrument. So if the mics are 2" away from the guitar, they should be 6" away from each other. This helps with any phasing issues.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:05 PM

Mark,

I'd like to get a copy of that article if you have a minute: [email protected]

I'd also be willing to PAY someone to send me a copy of the VHS by Digi. It's no longer available and I have the DVD, but have heard that the VHS is much better.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:33 PM

No probs.
I'm at work at the moment but I'll send it when I get home.
Anyone else who wants it just post your address or email me (see my profile) and I'll get it to you when I can.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:01 PM

I'd like to get that article! my e-mail is:

[email protected]

thanks a lot!

kyle