Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-06-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Secret bass guitar recording tips...

Any fresh techniques out there for recording bass guitar? Amps, mics, DI's, EQ curves, plugins, funky tricks, anything you can think of? Time to let those techniques out of the bag, from basic to advanced, all are welcome.

And, because somebody inevitably posts it: pro player, pro gear, pro room. We know!

OK engineers, out with the tips!
Buttermilk Studios
Seattle, WA
Old 01-06-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Secret bass guitar recording tips...

Avalon 737sp bypass comp, add EQ to taste (cut low mids and boost 80Hz with a little 2-5kHz for string noise. run into a Tube Tech compressor. Use Sony EQ and Dynamics plugins. Should get a good sound

James Cullen

Seabrite Studios
Old 01-06-2003, 01:07 PM

Lately I have had great luck going Countrymen DI through a BA 1061 w/ an Elop patched in before the EQ. XFMR out. HP @ 35 and slight bump at 75-95 depending on song. I watch the meters and push the calrec to the top of its headroom. It distorts a little but, I find it nice on whot I do(pop/rock). I have also started adding a nice tight cut during mix around 105-120 for the kik if I have issues with the two stepping on each other to badly.
If I don't have the time. I plug right into a 512 and straight to the Distressor. Fast and always works good.

There are only 2 reasons for secrets.
Fear and Jealousy.

No secrets here.

D
Old 01-06-2003, 01:40 PM

I just wanted to point out how amazed I have been to see that all the secret bass tricks don't involve amps but always seem to go direct.

Go figure.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:33 AM

Good Bass player good instrument very little else.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:52 AM

Exactly!!! Good Bass player/Good instrument.

And while you're at it go in direct via a Simon Systems RDB-400. Every studio in the world should have one of these.

Steve
1-603-867-6843
Old 01-07-2003, 09:07 AM

Great tips, keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally posted by zoggied:

And, because somebody inevitably posts it: pro player, pro gear, pro room. We know!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Gee Ozzie, you're offically "that guy"! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Buttermilk Studios
Seattle, WA
Old 01-07-2003, 10:05 AM

Sorry if you thought my comment a touch glib, but bass guitar is perhaps the easiest instrument in the world to record. In fact you have to do quite a lot to mess it up. Advice should be regard with caution. Try anything, if it sounds good to you then that's fine. Last bass I recorded was a Yamaha 5 string played by Laurie Cottle, DI'ed into a Neve with a TubeTech compressor providing a little bit of squash across the insert, no eq sounded great. I haven't got a clue what the DI was!

All the best
Old 01-07-2003, 11:30 AM

Gotta disagree Ozzie. More people @uck up bass tones than anything else IMHO. With alot of new rock/Alt styles its not a big deal since you can't hear it much in the mix anyway... Just seems like an octave extension of the guit part sometimes. For me its always been about the player and the touch they have with their instrument. Sound cliche, but as you know after you record a few Great players with Great rigs it all makes sense. With the younger guys who engineer here it can be enlightening for them to discover that the frequencies their mucking with correspond to actual pitches on the instrument, unlike a 15K shelf on drum overheads for example. I tend to go for multiband comp before EQ if the tone needs help or the player lacks consistancy. I rely on the avalon di as well, or V72 with 1176 as gain control. Adjusting the front edge of the envelope in mixdown helps fit the bass in with kick and other low end instruments too, so I give that attack control the respect it deserves. 10ms either way makes a huge difference. Good post, keep um coming!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:57 PM

My tip is to have the bass player check tuning very frequently...