Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Avid

Default Re: WHEN IS LEOPARD SUPPORT COMING?!?!

Quote:
I just purchased a new mac pro 3.0 8 core. Can I just partition the hard drive or use the second hard drive to install tiger? That way I can just boot tiger at start up when I want to use protools. Would this be a temp. fix until support for Leopard is out?
You should be able to, though I would caution against partitioning - we've seen some issues with that. They've been rare, but I would still recommend avoiding that route.

Typically the easiest way to move back to Tiger is to install Tiger on either a secondary internal drive or a FW400 drive.

You'll need Tiger install CD's for your particular model Mac (MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, etc). You may be able to find these on sites like Craigslist or Ebay. Make sure they are the full installer and not 'Restore' or 'Update' disks.

Install Tiger on the secondary drive, then use the Startup Disk control panel to choose the drive you want to boot from.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
You should be able to, though I would caution against partitioning - we've seen some issues with that. They've been rare, but I would still recommend avoiding that route.
I've read that Tiger does not run very well on the new Penryn Mac Pros due to a lack of drivers.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM

I am a moron and upgraded my new I-Mac to leopard without even thinking and I have a new 003 rack unit on the way. Is there a way I can reboot my I mac back to tiger in order to run my new 003 rack? my Mac came pre installed with Tiger with a leopard install dvd in the box.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Is there a way I can reboot my I mac back to tiger in order to run my new 003 rack? my Mac came pre installed with Tiger with a leopard install dvd in the box.
Ok, Apple had a bunch of iMacs pre-installed with Tiger that were already shipped to retailers. It would cost too much to take them back in order to reinstall them with Leopard... so they added this "drop-in kit". An upgrade DVD that will require Tiger installed to allow you to install Leopard. You have one of these right?

If you do you will also have 3 grey restore disks with the original software. These include Tiger, iLife '08 and some other optional installs like iWork '08 demo and Office 2004 Test Drive.

Just boot up from disk one and make a clean install (wipe the disk) and you'll be back on track with Tiger in no time. Archive if you need to preserve user settings. Or simply move any important stuff to an external disk before wiping the internal one.

Btw, you really don't need to have Tiger installed in order to install Leopard. In the future if you need to re-install your machine with Leopard you really don't want to install Tiger first, and THEN install Leopard... waste of time. Just boot off the upgrade DVD, choose to restore from Time Machine... go forward until you can't go forward no more (make sure any Time Machine devices are turned off first!)... then you just go back to the screen after the initial screen. Tada! Suddenly "Continue" isn't greyed out and you will be able to perform a clean installation after wiping the disk totally.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 AM

Is it just me or should Digi at least give us some info about "when" or "we are still working on it"?
There silence seems to be deafening. Yes, I know, we have to wait for 10.5.2 from Apple....but then how much longer??
Is anyone at Digi home??

Keep Making the MUSIC
Old 02-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
I've read that Tiger does not run very well on the new Penryn Mac Pros due to a lack of drivers.
And you would likely be correct to some degree. I'm merely provide possible workarounds - I make no claims regarding functionality, however.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM

I just bought a brand new (Late 2007) 2.0GHz MacBook (MB061LL/B) running Leopard.
PLEASE!!!!!!! Would you tell me how to make my Mbox2 Mini and my new Macbook to work along????

Should this MacBook model run Tiger with no problem ?????

What else can I do???? So frustrated!!!!!
Thanks

Daniel
Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 PM

whilst 7.4 is not officially supported (digi not done their one million and one check - or just too lazy, i wouldnt like to say!)...

Pro Tools LE 7.4 does work with Leopard.

No other version will work as far as i am aware.

If anyone purchased PT 7.3 in late 2007 (as i did with my 003R, purchased in Jan2008), Digi are offering a free upgrade to 7.4 - all one has to do is register the product on digidesigns website.

Tom
003R Rack Factory
Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 PM

[/QUOTE]Ok, Apple had a bunch of iMacs pre-installed with Tiger that were already shipped to retailers. It would cost too much to take them back in order to reinstall them with Leopard... so they added this "drop-in kit". An upgrade DVD that will require Tiger installed to allow you to install Leopard. You have one of these right?

If you do you will also have 3 grey restore disks with the original software. These include Tiger, iLife '08 and some other optional installs like iWork '08 demo and Office 2004 Test Drive.

Just boot up from disk one and make a clean install (wipe the disk) and you'll be back on track with Tiger in no time. Archive if you need to preserve user settings. Or simply move any important stuff to an external disk before wiping the internal one.

Btw, you really don't need to have Tiger installed in order to install Leopard. In the future if you need to re-install your machine with Leopard you really don't want to install Tiger first, and THEN install Leopard... waste of time. Just boot off the upgrade DVD, choose to restore from Time Machine... go forward until you can't go forward no more (make sure any Time Machine devices are turned off first!)... then you just go back to the screen after the initial screen. Tada! Suddenly "Continue" isn't greyed out and you will be able to perform a clean installation after wiping the disk totally.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome. I am a newbie to the Mac world and the DUC. Thanks for the help man.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And you would likely be correct to some degree. I'm merely provide possible workarounds - I make no claims regarding functionality, however.
The only way I've found of booting a Jan08 MacPro into Tiger, is to clone the system drive from an Aluminium iMac (running 10.4.11). The iMac has the same ATI Radeon HD2600 video card as the new MacPros.

I've yet to install Pro Tools, but will post my results. It's a messy way of doing things, but for those who can't wait, it appears to be the only option.

BTW , some facts for those complaining about PT Leopard support....

* Logic Pro 8 does not work "perfectly well". I am receiving regular support calls from those having issues.

* Not every Audio Software/Hardware developer has Leopard compatibility yet... so it's a little unfair to single out one company.

* As far as I am aware...no one has died due to Pro Tools / Leopard incompatibility.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Closed Thread