Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 12-30-2014, 06:29 AM

Default Tempo,tempo,tempo!

Hi guys. I posted this under the Pro Tools 9 category. Reason, I suspect that the You tube videos are not specific to the various versions of Pro Tools. Usually, when I start a session I will leave the tempo at 120 if it fits. If not, I click on the conductor button, (i.e.) un highlight it and either scroll to the tempo or type it in. As I understand, once a tempo is entered manually, you can not change or alter it. If I'm right this seem unproductive and some times frustrating if one wants or needs to change tempo later. I am not interested in varying the tempo during the song, just changing it once it is established. Am I correct or is there a way to change the tempo once it is established in manual mode ? As a reminder, I am on Pro Tools 9.0.6 If that matters.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Tempo,tempo,tempo!

You can change the tempo anytime you like by clicking the icon in the tempo ruler. doing so will open another window where you can type in a different bpm.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasman View Post
You can change the tempo anytime you like by clicking the icon in the tempo ruler. doing so will open another window where you can type in a different bpm.
True, but I believe the conductor needs to be ON for this. Maybe check youtube for some video help with searches like "tempo change in pro tools"(without the quotes).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-31-2014, 05:37 AM

Thanks kasman and albee. By your responses I don't know if my question was clear enough? So let me restate another way. If I start a new session at the standard 120 bpm with the conductor button highlighted, (blue), and I decide that the tempo needs to be faster or slower, how do I implement the tempo change ? If I click on the conductor button I will be in manual tempo mode which does not permit changing the tempo! So, what you are saying is, do not click on the conductor button,(i.e.) leave it highlighted and then I should be able to change or vary the tempo by clicking on the icon in the tempo ruler. Am I clear on this ? I'm sorry for my inability to understand but that's just the way my mind works.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks kasman and albee. By your responses I don't know if my question was clear enough? So let me restate another way. If I start a new session at the standard 120 bpm with the conductor button highlighted, (blue), and I decide that the tempo needs to be faster or slower, how do I implement the tempo change ? If I click on the conductor button I will be in manual tempo mode which does not permit changing the tempo! So, what you are saying is, do not click on the conductor button,(i.e.) leave it highlighted and then I should be able to change or vary the tempo by clicking on the icon in the tempo ruler. Am I clear on this ? I'm sorry for my inability to understand but that's just the way my mind works.
This sounds correct to me. I have done it both ways(and both work) but I am trying to remember to leave the conductor on and make the change the other way as that allows for tempo changes within the song, and have the click track follow(but for straight ahead rock/pop/country, tempo changes within a song don't seem to happen much).

BTW, you can also change the tempo of stuff already recorded by using Ticks mode and Elastic Audio

Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 AM

Thanks albee. I'm still confused ! If the procedure I stated is the correct method for changing tempo then why doesn't it work? This is sooo frustrating! I've tried it both ways and neither works! And, to make things worse, my session click track stops working! This phenomenon has occurred in the last three songs I've attempted to record. I've had to resort to recording a tempo track via my keyboard at the original tempo and syncing that to the session. I hope I'm not being paranoid here but it seems that this quirk started immediately after my last visit with Sweetwater tech support, (on line troubleshoot of my system). Is it possible that I could have inherited these issues due to something that the technician did ?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks albee. I'm still confused ! If the procedure I stated is the correct method for changing tempo then why doesn't it work? This is sooo frustrating! I've tried it both ways and neither works! And, to make things worse, my session click track stops working! This phenomenon has occurred in the last three songs I've attempted to record. I've had to resort to recording a tempo track via my keyboard at the original tempo and syncing that to the session. I hope I'm not being paranoid here but it seems that this quirk started immediately after my last visit with Sweetwater tech support, (on line troubleshoot of my system). Is it possible that I could have inherited these issues due to something that the technician did ?
I doubt it. More likely some setting in PT needs changing(or some other simple detail we are missing) Have you hit youtube and looked for some video help on tempo settings in pro tools? I would give that a try

Old 01-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Yes Many times! I would hate to think that It's just my stupidity but I'm beginning to wonder! Another thing that seems to have changed in my version 9.0.6 is the elastic audio quantization. Before I would select ticks,(or samples), either would work, and an algorithm from the list, then click on Event, Quantize and the selected region would snap to grid. Now sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't ??? I'm in over my head!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Yes Many times! I would hate to think that It's just my stupidity but I'm beginning to wonder! Another thing that seems to have changed in my version 9.0.6 is the elastic audio quantization. Before I would select ticks,(or samples), either would work, and an algorithm from the list, then click on Event, Quantize and the selected region would snap to grid. Now sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't ??? I'm in over my head!
Sounds like someone needs a subscription to Groove3 for the year

Old 01-03-2015, 05:22 AM

albee. Once again pardon my ignorance but what is Groove3? Thanks.