Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 AM

Default PT crashes on one particular session, all the time

I'm at wits end with this. One PT file just keeps crashing. It usually happens when I make a selection and initiate playback. It crashes immediately, the Mac says "Pro Tools quit unexpectedly". Sometimes I can restart PT, but usually I have to restart the whole computer to get PT to open again. Like I said, it's only ONE song that does this. I don't have an inordinate amount of plug-ins running in this song either.

Also, even though I keep saving while trying to work on it, it often does not remember the last handful saves, and opens to an older state than what I had last saved. When I go to "Open Recent Session", it does not show up as the last file I worked on. PT just hates this file for some reason.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this or how I can troubleshoot it?

Pro Tools 8.0.4
Digi 002
Mac OSX 10.6.4
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Old 10-24-2010, 01:36 AM

Default Re: PT crashes on one particular session, all the time

It can easily be a corrupted session. Have you tried to make a new session and use import session data?

Other troubleshooting steps you've tried?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:46 AM

yeah what he said, import sessions data!! You can also try repairing disk permissions.

Also as a rule I NEVER just reopen Pro Tools after a crash as u mentioned.

I ALWAYS trash
Digisetup OSX
DAE Prefs Folder
PT Prefs
com.digidesign.protools.plist
databases folders
volumes folder

All of this using the "Pro Tools Preferences and Database Helper" utility

Empty trash
then restart the computer
THEN re-open Pro tools.

I find that if I do encounter a random problem this usually fixes it and with these maintenance steps the problem doesn't ever seem to get out of hand.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 AM

If you repair permissions, trash all those prefs and database and stuff then restart, open a new pro tools session, set all your preferences how you like them, save that session. close that sessions, open a new session and import session data from the potentially corrupt one and the problem persists...

I would try running the session off another drive than the one its currently on. And try making the copy by using the menu item "Save Session Copy in" and choosing save all audio files so this new copy, on a different drive will be self contained.

If that didn't work I would try the import session data from the new save session copy in version, into a new session and see if that helps...

And with each attempt, if Pro Tools crashes trash al that stuff again and try the other steps. EACH TIME it crashes trash using the utility app, empty trash, restart computer. . . then try another trouble shooting idea.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 PM

Well, I have tried all of your suggestions. It has improved a little. I'm now able to at least work for 5-10 minutes before it crashes. At this rate the session will still take quite some time to edit and mix, but I guess it's better than before.

I wish there was a way to determine what exactly is "corrupt" about it.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM

start with your plug ins.

remove all but stock digi ones.

open session and see whats happens.

add in 3 at a time see what happens. then if it happens try one of the last 3 you put in. . and just go through to see which plug in could possibly be causing the problem.

I have also heard several times about installing pro tools in a new user account for trouble shooting. so you could try that as well.