Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-29-2020, 03:57 PM

Default Keyboard wont make sound in MIDI-USB

I'm new to Pro Tools, and I can't figure out why my Yamaha M08 keyboard won't make any sound when it's hooked up with a USB. I'm trying to record in MIDI so that I can use Virtual Instruments instead of the preset sounds on the keyboard. I downloaded the appropriate driver (I know because the keyboard was making sound when I had Pro Tools First, but when I upgraded to the full version of Pro Tools 12 it stopped working). I also tried:

- Making sure the MIDI Thru box is checked in Options
- Making sure my device is recognized in Input Device Drivers and that all the boxes are checked
- Making sure the Track Enable button is on on my Instrument Track
- Making sure my Device Driver is recognized in my Device Manager on my computer
- Using MIDIOX to detect the signal of my keyboard (it does)
- Making sure my keyboard is on lol
- Making sure MIDI editor is working on its own
- Making sure my playback engine is set up correctly
- Making sure i can still record in audio by plugging my piano into my interface

There aren't any levels shown when i hit the keys. I'm fuming at this point, but I'm sure that it's some noobie mistake I'm making so please help me figure this out so that I can regain my sanity thanks
Old 06-29-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Keyboard wont make sound in MIDI-USB

Correction: I'm actually using Pro Tools 2020, don't know if that changes anything though
Old 06-29-2020, 04:46 PM

Are you trying to record MIDI to a MIDI track?... if so you won't hear anything.

If you want to record MIDI and hear something you normally work with an instrument track. With a VI inserted on that track. Many people doing VI work never wort with an actual MIDI track.

If you are also recording audio (to an audio track) you need to record arm the track and select the correct input. And on recent macOS you have to enable pro Tools to have "microphone" access. Have you separately got recording audio to an audio track working? These are completely separate things, work them out separately. Work in a trivial test session if that makes things easier to follow.

We have no clue here how much experience you have working with Pro Tools. If you are new to this you should try finding a tutorial on working with virtual instruments in Pro Tools on YouTube or similar and follow that to start with.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:53 PM

I'm working with an instrument track to record MIDI, and i already know how to record with audio. Audio is working. I've scoured the internet for every tutorial on this that there is and come up with nothing, it seems like it must be a configuration or a routing issue but everything seems to be set up. Maybe there it is an issue that has to do with MIDI Studio Setup?
Old 06-29-2020, 04:58 PM

Is MIDI being recorded to your instrument track at all?

When stuck with MIDI/VI you should work with the MiniGrand VI.

Can you hand draw midi events in the instrument track and get that to play?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:03 PM

Yes i can use midi editor draw out a track so that it plays. I can't record anything in real time on that track though. The keyboard isn't recognized, there is no signal when i hit the keys. I do have the appropriate driver installed, though, and my instrument is recognized in MIDI Input Devices
Old 06-29-2020, 05:20 PM

I suspect the most common cause of this is just not having the correct MIDI device selected in the instrument track input.

You should confirm exactly what MIDI channel the keyboard is using and make sure that is set correctly in that input.

I also find a stand-alone MIDI soft keyboard app handy for occasional troubleshooting like this.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:28 PM

Ok i'll check that out. Thanks for your time.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:38 PM

I am not sure why you could not find tutorials online. Here is an example... try following this and see how far you get. Describe exactly where you get to if it does not work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGp1Dhr2Olc
Old 06-29-2020, 05:51 PM

I could find plenty of tutorials, none of them seemed to resolve my issue though. I think I've seen this one too. It looks like it might be an issue with midi studio setup. A lot of other people seem to have a specific input port listed for their device in midi studio setup, which they can then apply to the input of their instrument track. my keyboard doesn't have a specific input to use, it has four listed, which are labelled "Yamaha MO8-1 [Emulated]", "Yamaha MO8-2 [Emulated]", etc. None of them seem to work when I apply them to the instrument input on my instrument track