Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 AM

Default Ode to 2012 MBP & time to move on?

I'm on a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz I7, 8GB running on Yosemite. I run ProTools 11 through my Digi 003 rack. I still haven't gotten around to upgrading the RAM.

It amazes we how well this computer works with ProTools, multiple-virtual instruments, plugins, etc. For every 4-5 hours of usage, ProTools crashes--but other than that, it works like a champ.

Spotify takes 15 minutes to open on this computer. It's clearly a creaky old beast in most situations--outside of ProTools.

I know this can't go on forever. I'm feeling ready to move to a current machine which I think will be an iMac. I will also upgrade my audio interface to something more modern. It's a big expenditure--which is why I'm trying to squeeze all of the toothpaste out of this old MBP.

Anyone else still running one of these Mid 2012 MBP's?

Does it make sense to find a good deal on an 2018 or 2019 iMac? Or do people think it's worth waiting and paying for the new 2020 iMac?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited by toddamo; 06-28-2020 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-28-2020, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Ode to 2012 MBP & time to move on?

I have a mid 2012 MBP & am still running PT10. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB. It is very stable & I seldom have problems.. I spend 3-4 hours a day Recording & Mixing.. I've thought about upgrading to a 1T SS Hard Drive..

I still run ancient OSX 10.8. Luckily I only use this Computer for Pro Tools.. Like the old saying goes.. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

I also have a new IMac & run Logic Pro X on it.. One time Cost. It's perpetual & no cost Upgrades..

I like that my PT10 is perpetual.. To buy new Pro Tools 2020 it's twice as expensive as Logic Pro X. I don't get why Avid requires an Annual Subscription Fee while Logic Pro X doesn't? What happens if you don't pay your Subscription Fee? Upgrades cost extra as well.

My plan was to phase in to Logic but I have so many Projects in Pro Tools I still work on the old MBP most of the time.. It will take some time but eventually I'll make the transition..

Logic Pro X also has xlnt Phone Tech Support.. Usually no longer than 2 minutes to speak to a English speaking Rep in the USA... Their Online Support is very User friendly as well..
Old 06-28-2020, 07:19 AM

No need to announce you are moving to another DAW! Just do it and be happy if thats what you wanna do.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-28-2020, 07:27 AM

Oh, no, no, no. The WORLD needs to know about this important announcement!

Basically, I do marvel at how well this old machine operates. I think it's worth a shout!

And--I'm looking for opinions on the 2019 iMac models vs. waiting for the new, as of yet--unannounced 2020 iMac.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
No need to announce you are moving to another DAW! Just do it and be happy if thats what you wanna do.
Suppressing Freedom of Speech & Freedom of Choice? I believe PT Users should know the facts re; Avid's constant & needless gouging for more Money.. And the difference between Customer Support with Competitors like Logic.

This Forum can be pretty rough on People trying to get help & answers... Also they should know how frustrating it is Waiting a half hour on the Phone for Tech Support only to get someone from the Philippines you can't understand. There are more positive alternatives.

Avid can, if they want, be competitive & upgrade their Customer Support to Positive & Friendly. They can also do away with the Annual Subscription Fee for PT. The High initial Purchase Price should make it Perpetual...

PT is a great Product.. But, so is Logic.. Avid would smart to take my comments into consideration & think about improving in certain areas.. You've lost many Customers for the above things I mention. But, you didn't need to....